Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Build Questions

Feedback Score

First Build Questions

As I think I mentioned in my first post, I'm new to the AR15 world and will be doing my first build something in the near future.

I wanted to go ahead and get some questions out of the way while I'm still in the planning phase:

First and foremost, how much? How much should I look to spend to build the rifle itself working with just iron sights?

Who's upper, who's lower offer the best reliability and price?

And, the last one I have at this moment; where's the best place to get a fair price and quality customer service on most of the gear?

I snagged this picture from a member on AR15.com, this is not my rifle, nor my picture, I'm using it to demonstrate the look I want to achieve. Instead of Olive, I'd prefer Coyote or Black.

USMC and Wulf50guy have rifles I find appealing; I'm not attempting to copy any of these, but I felt this was the best way to express what my interest was so someone could help me better answer my questions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought a Superior Arms stripped lower for $110.00 I put it together wih Bushmaster parts. Everything went together easily. Parts were appx. $60.00

I would buy a already completed upper. Lots of sources. Buy a copy of the Shotgun News and see what's available. I paid a bit more an used Adco Arms to build me an upper. It ran around $500.00. You can certainly find lower from company's like Model 1 Sales.

For accs. I use Bravo Company USA. He's a real nice guy who ships same day. He sells only good quality stuff.

Good luck with your build!!

Feedback Score
    Buy once, cry once.

My first recommendation is do not buy a complete rifle. Get a lower, w/o a buttstock (since you'll probably replace it) or one that comes with the exact stock you want, or do as Mauser mentioned above.

For your upper, I highly recommend the dealers on this site. I've purchased parts from G&R Tactical and Bravo Company USA, and an LMT upper from JTAC supply that I am very happy with. I also recommend ADCO Firearms.

On your upper, if you don't get a free-float tube right away but might want to add one later, then I don't recommend a 14.5 with a perm FS to start. It won't make it impossible to free-float later, but it will make it harder, more expensive and/or limit your tube/rail choices.

Since it looks like you are looking at a carbine (vs a 20" barrel) kind of build, take a hard look at a 16" midlength-gas system barrel.

Feedback Score
    The Bravo Company Manufacturing uppers are available at a great price and are super quality. The 16" middy (as DevilDog suggested) is a superb choice.

Grant at G&R, Paul at Bravo USA, Jason at JTAC Supply, and Denny from DennysGuns/GTS are all great guys to deal with, and can hook you up with whatever you need to get your rifle exactly as you want it.

If you're looking at a fixed rear sight, let me suggest that instead of the ubiquitous LMT as pictured above, you check out the LaRue. It's less money, lighter, and IMHO, a lot more suited for hard usage.
    Save the Pandas!

-Tally Fortenberry
    -Capco Small Arms Research Group

Feedback Score
    Yeah I definitely wanted to buy parts and assemble it myself.

I was browsing the Bravo Company website this afternoon and the prices were definitely fair. I may see if I can't talk to one of those guys and have him point me in the right direction for parts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Yeah I definitely wanted to buy parts and assemble it myself.

I was browsing the Bravo Company website this afternoon and the prices were definitely fair. I may see if I can't talk to one of those guys and have him point me in the right direction for parts.
    If you are looking at Bravo Co. - the man to talk to is Paul.

Good People & Good Company - as are most you find here.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Facium
    (I will find a way or I will make one)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'll echo some of the other recommendations about using BCM uppers. IMO they are the best deal going right now, period.

As for lowers, I don't think it really matters as long as you use quality parts inside: CMT & RRA LPKs are my favorites.

I've used just about every brand of stripped lower receiver out there and I've had good luck with just about all of them. The Megas are some of my favorites, as are the Sun Devils. I also have several Bushmasters, some old SGW lowers, Eagle Arms, LMTs, Superiors and a "Keep Virginia Zombie Free" DPMS lower from Tom Sawyer.

Use the BCM bolt carrier groups and Stag or LMT buttstocks as well.

Invest in some quality tools (either from Bravo Company USA or ADCO) and a nice bench vice and get to building! Oh and don't forget the pictures

Feedback Score
    For those recommending BCM, those come without BCG's, correct? If so, what BCG do you recommend for them?

I see BCM carries both LMT and CMT, in both semi and FA versions. Is either preferred? Or would you recommend something like Colt BCG's from SAW? Anyone running the LW "Super Duper" whatever they call it?

Feedback Score
    On bolt carriers, given the choice/option, I would recommed the M-16 carrier as that is how the system was originally designed and I don't think the semi-auto carrier was meant to solve any real problems. The M-16 carrier has more mass, the same idea that is behind using heavy buffers. If price weren't an object, I swap all my carriers for the M-16 carrier.

I'll also second CapnCrunch's suggestion on the LaRue rear buis. I have the LMT and its a good site and very well made, but after having it on my most used carbine for the last 4-5 years, I've learned I have no need for the elevation wheel. The next fixed/rear buis I get will be the LaRue.

Feedback Score
    Roger that on the LaRue BUIS. It's very stout, very light weight, great mounting system, no edges or nuts to snag stuff on and the windage adjustment is recessed so it won't get accidentally knocked off of your zero setting. I'm really happy with mine, and like you say, the lack of an elevation wheel is not a real issue.

Be advised they now offer a same plane aperture option for some extra $$ if that option appeals to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast