Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Garden Thread

Feedback Score

The Garden Thread

Need to take some pics but have planted everything.

Unfortunately, my garden isn't as large as I had planned..but next year, I'll add on.

Heavy on stuff for salsa and marinara sauce..tomatoes, onions, peppers, celery.

Pole beans, spinach, snap peas..even some beets and radishes, although I'm not crazy about them.

In other places on the property, horseradish, pumpkins, winter squashes, zukes, sunflowers.

Also planted some fruits and perennials: Blueberries, bee balm, currants, coneflowers. a dwarf cherry tree, a patch of strawberries.

I'd like to add a couple of hickory trees, but I need to get rid of some pines first..maybe next year.

I've also found a few treats..rasberries, mulberries, rhubarb and crab apples already there. Also pokeweed, which I'm not planning to eat, and honeysuckle and lilac which smell great.

All in all, I'm satisfied with this year. Next year's efforts will hopefully include the nut trees and expanding the main garden.
    Deeds, not words.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    WOULD LOVE TO SEE PICS!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    keep us posted with pics, and if any problems come up let us know, we all may be able to pool our thoughts and start a good thread on problem solving.

Feedback Score
    Will do..the vines aren't very photogenic..I've planted them in a cleared fencerow and don't weed them any more than necessary.

Things are popping up. Thinned the radishes, beans and beets a little more yesterday.

What's in everyone else's garden?
    Deeds, not words.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Square foot garden with lettuce, okra, tomatoes, snow peas, kale green beans, egg plant, cucumbers, brussel sprouts and cantaloupes.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    On garden Mk II right now. Had everything but my tomato starts in and had a bit more water fall from the sky than needed.

Didn't lose potatos or the tomatos, but everything else is new. You can get pretty good deals at greenhouses this time of year btw

Feedback Score
    Everything we have planted is growing well.
    We have eight tomato plants, two rows each of beans and peas. The radishes have grown to maturity and we have picked about half of them, I might pick the rest, replant and see if we can get some more. The zucchini, squash and cucumber are doing well. We also planted several green pepper, orange pepper, and banana pepper plants, they are growing well.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Since I was out shooting pictures of my candle crate, I figured I'd shoot some of the backyard grocery store:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I bailed on the garden this year. Only kept the fruits & herb going. Harvested & froze a lot of Nanjing cherries in spring, have apples (colonnade varieties) and container blueberries still.

Locally I know of a large publicly accessible supply of pecans, persimmons, and mulberries, plus found a place where someone's backyard Brown Turkey Fig tree overhands the fence onto the public sidewalk...
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    Was just thinking of this thread today..no camera except my cell phone right now, but harvesting is in progress.

I'm boiling crab apples for jelly right now, and have beans snapped to freeze.

Picked onions and beats today, as well as a few zukes. Need to pick peas and peppers but didn't get it done today.
    Deeds, not words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast