Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR: Vickers Tactical 1911 Operator's Course 6/6-6/7 2009

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder6 View Post
    I have not taken Larry's class yet but have a strong interest. Out of curiousity, if Mr Vickers picks up a gun to carry these days, what would that gun be?
    Mr. Vickers uses a number of different handguns when training people. He generally tries to show up with the type of weapon and equipment that his students in a class will be using. I've seen him with an H&K P30, 1911s of various descriptions, and Glocks.

I've never asked him what he carries on a daily basis in his regular life because I don't want him to have to cut off my head and put it in a safe to preserve the integrity of that information.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiMfraRED1911 View Post
    The first "hands on" topic and probably the most important...lubrication.

c'mon jimfra,post some dawgone pics! lol.i know we got some good ones in there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder6 View Post
    I have not taken Larry's class yet but have a strong interest. Out of curiousity, if Mr Vickers picks up a gun to carry these days, what would that gun be? I ask this being aware of his stellar reputation as an authority on the 1911 as well as his input on some of the modern designs that were produced to replace the M92.

I suspect he can run anything, but he must have something he has bonded with.
    weapon he has bonded with?nah,larry could probably pick up a rock,throw from a hundred yards away and kill someone.
    Last edited by BiggLee71; 06-08-09 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggLee71@hotmail.com View Post
    c'mon jimfra,post some dawgone pics! lol.i know we got some good ones in there.
    Dag blasted computers...

Feedback Score
    JW,

Great AAR and I'm glad you picked me to be on the winning team . TEAM TIP are dudes. This class was worth every penny and long distance trip to get there. We got instructional training, no B.S. information about 1911s and tweaking of our 1911s done by LAV, all in 2 days! I recommend this course for those who carry 1911 for military, law enforcement and CCW for self-defense and as a stepping stone to his pistolsmith course if you decide to pursue this further. This course will definitely let you know if the 1911 will end up being your hobby gun or a serious carry gun.

The walk back is a great confidence builder and LAV points out a handgun is not confined to 25 yards as long as you have trigger control and live with the wobble zone. Team competition is another great way to end on the last day of training. You can observe how well your trigger control is with a little pressure and timing.

DP,

Thanks for the securing a classroom with South Hill PD. Without the classroom, we would only be imagining LAV tweaking our 1911s. Now we all leave this class with with an improved 1911.

Templar,

I see JW is your official male model for M4C
    Last edited by BT2012; 06-08-09 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    1. Me and "male model" in the same sentence just sounds....wrong.

2. Did anyone get any good pics of LAV going over the reload? It would come in handy for those asking questions about how he drops the slide.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    - Ejectors: Should not be loose and should not protrude into the mag well. Here again, my pistol had an issue. My ejector was extended into the mag well and it showed evidence of peening on the underside of the ejector. Mr. Vickers corrected that with the sander.
    The first 1911 class I went to, I noticed a similar thing on my RRA 1911. I figure it was because I was slamming mags in hard and the top of the lip was hitting the bottom of the ejector. I showed it to LAV and he said "yep", walked over to the sander, BRRROWWP and I suddenly had a standard length ejector.

'Well, that takes care of that," I remember thinking.

Regarding the grip screws: did LAV happen to mention how grip screws should be held in? I seem to recall that the bushings should be staked (duh) but if not, Loctite the bushings and nail polish on the grip screw so it breaks before the bushing chemical bond breaks.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Regarding the grip screws: did LAV happen to mention how grip screws should be held in? I seem to recall that the bushings should be staked (duh) but if not, Loctite the bushings and nail polish on the grip screw so it breaks before the bushing chemical bond breaks.
    Locktite on the bushings was given a thumbs up, as was staking. Having staked grip screw bushings is nice, but not strictly necessary. LAV said he didn't bother to stake the bushings on his own guns.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Great write up! Thanks for sharing alot of really valuable info.

Feedback Score
    *Clears throat, cracks knuckles*

Ok...

The first "hands on" on topic covered in class (and probably the most important)...lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    1. Me and "male model" in the same sentence just sounds....wrong.

2. Did anyone get any good pics of LAV going over the reload? It would come in handy for those asking questions about how he drops the slide.
    I got them.

For the lefties...index finger does it all. Larry said, with practice, that a left-handed user could be just and fast IF NOT faster than righties when it comes to reloading from slide lock.

Now it's our turn...

TD2 (the meat n' potatoes of this course)

"The Quantico Gun" broken down

Mr. Vickers' magic file

Before...

After the trip thru Larry's belt sander

Incredible experience and HIGHLY recommended to all fans of the 1911.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 06-09-09 at 09:29.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast