Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which wadcutter is supreme?

Feedback Score

Which wadcutter is supreme?

In some recent post we have seen inconsistent performance from one of the better .38 special loads (135gr +p GD) and the new Hornady FTX, leaving the Corbon DPX which is nearly prohibitively expensive, especially if you plan on doing at least some practice with it (at least it is for me). So I was wondering which of the wad cutters is best? I know Remington uses a softer lead in their 158gr +p LSWCHP than Winchester does in their version of the same load, does Remington also use a softer lead in their full wad cutter? It is my understanding that a harder lead is preferable for wad cutters, correct?

Also, what are people's thoughts on wad cutter loads from reloaders like Georgia Arms? Are they something that could serve as a defensive round or is it best to stick with one of the major manufacturers? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Do you mean wadcutters or semi wadcutters?

Most wadcutters are 148 gr. These are good especially if recoil is an issue with the shooter. I don't know if there is all that much difference between the different manufactures.

Semi wadcutters, usually 158 gr., come in solid and hollow point. I carried the SWCHP +P in the early 1980's. From what I understand, they can plug up when going through clothing, ect.

Feedback Score
    I am refering to full wadcutters. I was just wondering because there seems a fair bit of difference between the hardness of LSWCHP bullets between the major manufacturers so I wasn't sure if this carried over to full wadcutters too.
    Last edited by 167; 06-08-09 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    A harder one with the sharpest leading edge possible is ideal--solid brass, copper, or other hard material would be ideal, as long as it does not get classified as "AP" by the BATF...

Feedback Score
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wayne nailed it. BB is great stuff.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It looks like the leading edges are rounded/tapered on those B/B loads, Safe Stop had one truly sharp leading edge with its full FMJ cup-faced wad cutter design but its a shame that the manufacturer shut down.

Feedback Score
    BB claims they use a hard cast lead lead at 150gr in that WC linked above. I'd start there.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    With the BB load it would seem you lose the whole "low recoil" aspect of using wadcutters since it launches at a pretty fair speed from the barrel, and it is pretty pricey for a wadcutter. I may have to try some out though.

I guess all the major manufacturer wadcutters are not made from a hard enough lead to really get what is desiriable in a defensive wadcutter?

There is a local company (kind of like Georgia Arms) that loads ammunition and they load a 158gr wadcutter over 3.1gr of bullseye powder which it is my understanding that that is a "mid-range" load for a wadcutter. The bullet appears to be made out of a harder lead than the Remington wadcutters I have seen, but other than that I can't really say much. Assuming it is, would you guys think it is possibly a worthwhile round to at least look in to?

I am new to .38 special snubnose revolvers, that is the reason for all the questions. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I recently got a snubnose(LCR). I just went with a couple of boxes of DPX. Since it's a revolver you don't need to go through extensive functionality testing like you would an automatic using a certain round. At the ranges where I would use my snubnose I don't find the point of aim for various rounds all that different for defensive shooting purposes. Really I just need a feel for the recoil and trigger pull. So I planned to shoot a small amount of the DPX and mainly practice with cheaper rounds. Just my 2 cents...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast