Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Troubleshoot: M&P Failure to Eject

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Troubleshoot: M&P Failure to Eject

There seems to be a fair amount of folks experiencing this over on mp-pistol.com but I wanted to run it by you guys as well.

Basically a round fails to eject and the empty case remains in the chamber. The slide cycles and tries to feed the next round. I've experienced this myself once in the 900 rounds my M&P9 has through it and it seems to happen with the 9mms only. Most have been with WWB but all.

Has anyone here, that owns an M&P, had this happen? Does it sound like extractor tension? Any other ideas?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The only time I've ever had that happen was when at the Fredericksburg match in Nov. 06 I had a Black Hills blue box 147gr MATCH round casing split in three spots, I have the casing somewhere around here. It took a squib rod to knock it out. 3.5K rounds through this one (my game M&P9) this one was a NRA Convention gun I got REALLY cheap used. It did have the earlier striker which broke while dry-firing. I've replaced it with the upgraded striker, and complete sear housing. It runs fine now. I did polish (no metal removal) the chamber and feed ramp to a like chrome finish.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Sounds like either the chamber is a tad tight or the extractor spring doesn't have enough tension.

Remedy: Go back to the Glock.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dport
    Sounds like either the chamber is a tad tight or the extractor spring doesn't have enough tension.

Remedy: Go back to the Glock.
    Believe me, I've thought about it because of this and the broken strikers issues but I really want to love this M&P...

If the chamber were tight I would suspect I'd see this more than once in 900 rounds, don't you think? At this point I won't rule out anything.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would say that it's a failure to extract, it's not given a chance to eject the spent casing. I would relate it to the chamber dimensions and/or the extractor tension.

If that extractor is a fitted part, whoever is assembling them is taking to much material off the pad.

If not fitted, they need to look at the dimensions and increase tension.

If it is a fitted part--it's a huge frking blunder on their part.

In my opinion, typical S&W.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I am starting to feel like John Kerry in regards to M&P's.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Let's stick to the mechanics here

I don't believe the extractor is even pulling it back far enough for the ejector to do it's thing. From what I gather it just leaves the case in the chamber.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I don't recall Ernest Langdon telling me that the extractor is fitted. It is installed before the Melonite finish is applied to the slide. This maybe the problem. It may be making the extractor stick/bind a little.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's related to the two issues described. I doubt it's any ammo used so far. I would contact S&W and ask some questions and return it for inspection/parts replacement.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4
    I don't recall Ernest Langdon telling me that the extractor is fitted. It is installed before the Melonite finish is applied to the slide. This maybe the problem. It may be making the extractor stick/bind a little.
    If not, it's the tension on it. Take it apart and see if there's any burrs, etc in there.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast