View Poll Results: Which do you wish was cheaper?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fuel

13 10.40%
  • Real estate

11 8.80%
  • Vehicles

1 0.80%
  • Weapons

2 1.60%
  • Ammo

48 38.40%
  • Food (milk etc)

8 6.40%
  • Taxes

30 24.00%
  • Education

6 4.80%
  • Electronics

0 0%
  • other (explain)

6 4.80%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The one thing you wish was cheaper?

ToddG Guest
    Taxes.

Market forces control the rest and I can choose not to buy (or buy in greater moderation) all of the other things listed. I have no say in my taxes ... not how much is collected, and not how it's spent.

Feedback Score
    I had to go with ammo due to last weekend. I went into Gander Mountain to look around and saw two boxes of Hornady 75 grain TAP on the shelf. I thought, "boy am I lucky." Well, I got to the counter, the guy rang the two boxes up...$79.92. Two dollars a round? WTF! I pushed the two boxes back to him and walked out.

Semper Fi,
    Dave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Taxes.

Market forces control the rest and I can choose not to buy (or buy in greater moderation) all of the other things listed. I have no say in my taxes ... not how much is collected, and not how it's spent.
    Damn! I voted for food. I was thinking that the one thing you definitely need is to eat.

But, when you say it like that, I want to change my vote to taxes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Taxes.

You mean market forces WOULD control the rest if government didn't see fit to meddle. We pay farmers to not grow crops. College tuition has absolutely skyrocketed since student loans came about(my father paid his entire tuition each year with a summer job.) Bank bailouts? It wouldn't be wrong to call it real estate price fixing. Never mind how government inflated the bubble in the first place.

Provided government would actually reduce it's size and scope you'd be correct. History hasn't shown that to be the case. A reasonable person receiving less money would spend less. A government receiving less money borrows and prints, and continues growing anyway.

So given the choices available, I think reducing taxes wouldn't lower the other prices. Given the governments propensity to print money, they'd get more expensive. Whether or not low taxes would save you more money than the other things being cheaper depends on your income level.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    So given the choices available, I think reducing taxes wouldn't lower the other prices.
    I didn't say it would.

I pay more in taxes each year than I spend on food, fuel, ammo, or even my mortgage. Lowering my taxes would save me real money.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I didn't say it would.

I pay more in taxes each year than I spend on food, fuel, ammo, or even my mortgage. Lowering my taxes would save me real money.
    Damn you people who shoulder an unfair portion of the welfare state! No worries, while my current earned income as a college student working part time at a certain Fudd store sometimes distorts my perception about how fricken much people are required to pay, I understand you fully.

The reason I'm vehemently opposed to the tax code differs. I view it as slavery, where the government thinks it owns my labor and allows me to keep a portion of my earnings. Even if the rates were much lower I think the basic premise is pretty abominable.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for taxes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    We pay farmers to not grow crops.
    Hate to nitpick, but at least in my corner of the world, that is not going on anymore. There's the CRP program where the government pays you to plant grass on highly errodable farmground. That's the only thing resembling the concept of paying farmers to not grow crops, that's still in existence that I'm aware of.

I guess if I wanted something cheaper it would either be fuel or taxes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyAndFight View Post
    Same vote for same reason.
    Same here. Taxes are pretty much eating up a third of my earned income. All the other items' cost fluctuate with the economy where as my taxes seem to hold steady no matter how bad things are.

Plus, I can find ways to cut back on the other stuff if I need to. JM2CW.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234