Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "ACT-MAG" magazines?

Feedback Score
    I had ACT magazines that came with my NH and purchased a few under Wolff. They all started to fail to drop freely from the mag well. The mags all had well under 500 round count and not subjected to hard use at all. I longer use or purchase any mags made by ACT. I believe the feed lips started to spread which probably caused it to fail to drop freely but did not confirm with a caliper. I do not recommend them but if you must buy them, I would recommend getting it from NH because they didn't give me a hard time with the exchange. On the other hand, Wolff did give me a hard time with the exchange and I am surprised and disappointed with them.

Feedback Score
    SIG immediately replaced my magazines with rear feed lip cracks immediately (with their replacement proprietary Check-Mate produced magazines, which had become the OEM 1911 magazine of choice for SIG), with no questions asked-they didn't even want my old magazines back.

The US head of PSI magazines (who have the overall distributership for the ACT magazines) insisted (both to me and apparently to others as well, as I read about a similar discussion with the same individual posted elsewhere) that the problems were in fact caused by out-of-spec disconnectors/stripper rails. My source at SIG said that that was utter nonsense; it was an over-hardening issue by the manufacturer, ACT, pure and simply.

Although I told the PSI president that SIG had provided me replacement magazines, he promised to also comp me with some of the ACT/Novack magazines as well, but they never materialized.

When I spoke with Novak, they also stated that they would be happy to replace the magazines, but I told them that that was unnecessary, as SIG already had.

The only good news about the problematic ACT/Novak/Nighthawk/Wolff magazines is that if the feed lip/magazine tube cracking problems are going to occur, they tend to occur very early in their use. I have 3 "uncracked" ACT/Novaks left, but they're pretty much just occupying space in my storage area.

Dave Lauck at www.dlsports.com manufactures a replacement metal basepads to replace the fragile polymer ones, as well as providing an improved aluminum follower and an extra-power long-life magazine spring specifically designed to work in conjunction with his followers, but I prefer simply to go the Check-Mate route for my 1911 magazine needs.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-16-09 at 16:50.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The US head of PSI magazines (who have the overall distributership for the ACT magazines) insisted (both to me and apparently to others as well, as I read about a similar discussion with the same individual posted elsewhere) that the problems were in fact caused by out-of-spec disconnectors/stripper rails.
    Bullshit

If it was an out-of-spec rail problem on the SIG 1911s (which admittedly were far from bulletproof, just ask our own 45R), why does it happen to people shooting non-SIG 1911s, too?

Why does it happen to their P220 mags? Obviously, the spec for the P220 rail is whatever SIG says it is, and the mags should be made to that spec.

Having a problem with your product is one thing. Blaming your largest customer's product for your own failings is a good way to lose business. What mags are coming in SIG 1911s these days, again?

Feedback Score
    Ahh, c'mon, Todd, don't hold your feelings back! How do you REALLY feel??

Currently, to the best of my knowledge SIG-Sauer is using a stainless steel, 8 round removeable baseplate magazine manufactured for them by Check-Mate Industries for their 1911 line; they're good magazines, (I just used 2 of my old ones several days ago), but in my opinion Check-Mate's best ones (and in my opinion, some of the best 1911 magazines period, in terms of features, quality and cost-with the low cost simply being icing on the cake) are their hybrid feed lip, skirted/dimpled metal followered, flush and/or extended tube 8 round stainless magazines with their high-performance springs.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i use both the act and factory mags for my p220. the act magazines once inserted feel a bit looser and seem to have a slight rattle from being abole to push them up a little after you insert it and have the magazine catch catch. the factory ones are nice and snug and dont rattle. that being said function of these magazines have been flawless for me so far

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    SIG used both their 1911 magazines (for the GSR) and some of their P220 mags. They all had a very bad tendency to split open at the feed rail cut after moderate use.

That was a few years ago and the problem may have been rectified, but I wouldn't buy any without quite a bit of first hand positive feedback from high-volume shooters.
    I had split metal and or cracked base plates on 1911 ACT-Mags from Novak, Wolff, S&W and others. Many companies are putting their name on the ACT-Mag products and they are sub par as far as longevity. I will say all the companies I sent them back to replaced them without issue, and I now use them for range/IDPA only.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-17-09 at 16:38.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Bullshit

If it was an out-of-spec rail problem on the SIG 1911s (which admittedly were far from bulletproof, just ask our own 45R), why does it happen to people shooting non-SIG 1911s, too?
    To add/confirm, I had broken base plates and or spilt metal using Colt, S&W, and Caspian 1911s, so it's a BS comment.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have half dozen ACT sig 220 mags that have been flawless for me in my shooting with them I have not used them as much as my glocks back but no issues with them so far I bet I have at least 1700 rounds threw them. I will have to keep an eye on them now

Feedback Score
    I broke all of the base plates on mine, but I really love the followers. I installed them into CMC bodies and they are the smoothest functioning mags that I own. If any of you that trashed a bunch of mags want to sell the followers for a reasonable price, let me know.

ETA: Full size 1911.
    Last edited by Dunderway; 06-17-09 at 20:32.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12