Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "ACT-MAG" magazines?

Feedback Score

"ACT-MAG" magazines?

These would seem to be more toward range practice quality than hard use mags. Anyone familiar?

http://www.precisionsights.com/Produ...ines_page.html

ToddG Guest
    SIG used both their 1911 magazines (for the GSR) and some of their P220 mags. They all had a very bad tendency to split open at the feed rail cut after moderate use.

That was a few years ago and the problem may have been rectified, but I wouldn't buy any without quite a bit of first hand positive feedback from high-volume shooters.

Feedback Score

up until a year ago...

NightHawk Custom used to OEM ACT mags. I have 10 or so and have not had issues. That said, I have relegated them to range use in favor of Tripp Cobra's for carry.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    With even very little use, the earlier magazine lips tend to spread, then crack and break. I'm not familiar with the current production magazines.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Last year I bought five from CDNN for my 1911. So far there are no issues to report, but their round count is still very low.
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Both my 220 and 1911 ACT mags have to be ripped from the gun. The 220 ones are worse, essentially every time, the 1911 ones are about 40% of the time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i have a Les Baer that would ONLY run with these. so i bought a dozen or so. i have had two crack at the top rear radius, at the feed lips. but they still work. i'm still using them occasionally to see when they'll really stop feeding.

unless your gun really needs them, i'd stick with wilsons or CMC's. i have some wilsons that are ten years old, gone through several rebuilds, and still work perfectly
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have several ACT-mags for my P220 and some for a 1911, which have yet to be used. My P220 mags have seen a defensive pistol course with 800 rounds through them. I think they are excellent magazines. Just as good as factory magazines for my P220.

However, the 1911 magazines, I can not comment.

Hope this helps.
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've been using ACT 1911 mags in my 1911 for a few months. I haven't had any issues yet - I bought these new from Top Gun Supply. I've heard that the older ones can have problems with cracked feed lips, but I haven't seen any issues yet.

Feedback Score
    The ACT magazines (also rollmarked/distributed as Novak, Nighthawk and Wolff) have two problems: 1) Over hardening as a result of flawed heat treatment renders the feed lips unduly brittle, resulting in cracking-usually on the rear of the right feed lip. In extreme cases, the feed lip can shear off, which can severely tie up the gun; 2) he polymer basepad is somewhat brittle and can crack/break if dropped on a hard surface, such as concrete. Since there is no inner floorplate, this can result in a "speed unload."

I have relegate my remaining ACT magazines for range use only-and rarely even that. I much prefer Check-Mate's hybrid feed lip, skirted/dimpled follower 1911 magazines, both their welded floorplate and their extended tube versions. They are a far superior magazine, and much more durable.

Best, Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast