Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabre Defense Question

Feedback Score

Sabre Defense Question

Who makes the upper reciever when you buy a SDI complete upper?Are they made in house or by someone like CMT?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdeerhunter
    Who makes the upper reciever when you buy a SDI complete upper?Are they made in house or by someone like CMT?
    I am pretty certain that they do not make them in house. I am going to guess that they get them from the same place that FN get's theirs.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    I am pretty certain that they do not make them in house. I am going to guess that they get them from the same place that FN get's theirs.

C4

I was watching a show on the Military Channel where they took a tour of the FN plant. They showed the uppers being machined in-house.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sabre Defence probably finish machines their receivers but the forgings are likely Cerro, Cardinal or Anchor-Harvey forgings like most other companies use.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob96
    I was watching a show on the Military Channel where they took a tour of the FN plant. They showed the uppers being machined in-house.
    That is correct. Do you think they have the capability to keep up with demand?

Most every manufacturer I know, outsources some things to keep up.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    That is correct. Do you think they have the capability to keep up with demand?

Most every manufacturer I know, outsources some things to keep up.

C4
    The way demand is rightnow, heck no. I do know they would have to outsource. I just thought it was being said all upper receivers were outsourced.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    FWIW the April 2007 issue of Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement has an article on a Sabre Defence carbine and they state, "Sabre actually manufactures 85 to 90 percent of every rifle that leaves their 40,000-square-foot facility."

It then goes on to state, "Sabre forges every upper and lower receiver and actually rifles its own barrels from blanks."

Later on in the article I found this, "About the only components not made by Sabre in house are small fire control components that are purchased from outside sources."

The more I see and learn about Sabre the more impressed I get.
    Last edited by M4arc; 02-06-07 at 14:40.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc
    FWIW the April 2007 issue of Gune & Weapons for Law Enforcement has an article on a Sabre Defence carbine and they state, "Sabre actually manufactures 85 to 90 percent of every rifle that leaves their 40,000-square-foot facility."

It then goes on to state, "Sabre forges every upper and lower receiver and actually rifles its own barrels from blanks."

Later on in the article I found this, "About the only components not made by Sabre in house are small fire control components that are purchased from outside sources."

The more I see and learn about Sabre the more impressed I get.
    Gun writers have a hard time with the difference between Manufacturing and Assembling. From talking with SD, they get their BCG's from two different sources. One is their plant in the UK and the other is from where I get my FN contracted BCG's. They also buy their upper receivers from there as well.

They DO make their barrels in house though and DO have their own chrome plating setup (which is impressive).

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    One last piece of educational info for those looking to buy SD compete uppers. Some of their dealers are buying JUST their barrels and then putting them on cheap upper receivers and cheap BCG's. This is why some dealers complete SD uppers are a lot cheaper than other dealers. I personally classify this as a very shady business practice and have told SD that they might want to correct this lie before it comes back to bite them.

LMT USED to sell just barrels and then caught dealers doing what is now being done to SD and is why they stopped selling barrels.

C4

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I got my SDI midlegth upper from Talon Arms. When it arrived, the receiver had Anchor Harvey markings. So tell me...is this really an SDI upper or one put together by Talon Arms?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast