Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about a 6.8 upper. Should I be?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That's true. I forget that people want to hunt with the round. I tend to get locked into the notion of a long range fighting gun.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I think a LWRC in 6.8SPC may change your mind .

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Has the chamber spec and barrel twist been sorted out? I seem to remember that barrels using the Gen II chamber (or whatever it was) and the 1 in 11 twist were able to get higher velocities because the chamber pressures were reduced (given equivalent loads). Some OEM's, like LMT and LWRC were using the original chamber spec and a 1 in 10 twist, while some were using the 1 in 11 or 1 in 12 like Noveske.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by benthughes View Post
    I think a LWRC in 6.8SPC may change your mind .
    now your talking my language!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockWRX View Post
    Has the chamber spec and barrel twist been sorted out? I seem to remember that barrels using the Gen II chamber (or whatever it was) and the 1 in 11 twist were able to get higher velocities because the chamber pressures were reduced (given equivalent loads). Some OEM's, like LMT and LWRC were using the original chamber spec and a 1 in 10 twist, while some were using the 1 in 11 or 1 in 12 like Noveske.
    chart from the members of 68forums

shows who's using what chamber and twist. Opposite of 5.56, the trend in 6. has been towards slower twists for lighter bullets.

Feedback Score
    I am about to take delivery of my 3rd 6.8 upper

Harrison at AR15Performance is getting 3200FPS out of a 16" barrel with 85g barnes bullets and punching clean through big hogs

I have killed a number of deer and hogs with my 18" DMR chambered upper using 110g Barnes TTSX, the round proved every bit effective as my 308 or 270

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Outside of a few guys like Stephen at BFG, there are very few people shooting the 6.8 for volume.
    At one time I was SSA's largest non-mil/non-commercial customer. That's probably not true anymore as I just don't shoot as much as I used to. I really need to get back into reloading too.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Thread subscribed.

I am just starting the process today to find the right upper for deer hunting to mate with my BCM lower that is on it's way. Any advice would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Shot my upper from ar15performance first time this morning. With the FSC30 it feels similar in recoil and muzzle rise to shooting 5.56 with an A2, but the guys behind me said it was blasty. I pretty much second everything Rob said.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    I guess I know what's going to be my next project. I saw a SS 6.8 18" Bison Armory barrel on the EE. Any thoughts on Bison Armory?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast