Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for Mounting a Light on an AK

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Options for Mounting a Light on an AK

AK Gurus,

I have a friend who has an AK-47 (SAR1). He is interested in mounting a light on it but there are some interesting dynamics at play here.

I recommended an Ultimak rail with an offset flashlight mount like the excellent Vltor mount. He liked the idea since he would like to add an Aimpoint soon anyway. Then he said something curious. He asked if the piston rubbing the inside of the Ultimak would be a problem. I said I think it would since it would be steel on aluminum and that kind of rubbing is never good on optic mount.

It turns out that his front trunnion is canted which causes the piston to rub on the inside of the gas tube. This particular AK has over 5000 trouble free rounds on it with the piston rubbing the gas tube the whole time!

So my question is, other than the Ultimak, what would be the preferred way to mount a light on an AK? Railed hand guard? Barrel mount? Any other options? Also, what are his options for having this rifle fixed and is it even worth fixing a SAR-1?

Thanks,
    Matt

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Is it one of the ones with the rigid welded piston? On a properly built AK the piston is held by a peened-over pin and it wobbles a little, allowing for that kind of rubbing.

He could use a barrel-mount such as a SF or UTG, or he could use a CAA lower HG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Is it one of the ones with the rigid welded piston? On a properly built AK the piston is held by a peened-over pin and it wobbles a little, allowing for that kind of rubbing.

He could use a barrel-mount such as a SF or UTG, or he could use a CAA lower HG.
    I will check the piston. Thanks for the tip and the options.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have what I believe to be a dandylight mount for an AK, that will have zero contact with the barrel, allow lights of several sized to be used. I ran it by an AK instructor I am acquantances with, and he thinks it'll work, I just dont know what to now. Katar, go any ideas? Email me.

Feedback Score
    I have drilled and attached a small section of rail it was either made by mid west industries or one of those companies to the top 10-11 o clock position on the top rail seems to be working pretty good. Pic in a minute.

Feedback Score
    Got some good ones it was a GG&G I forgot why I picked this one at the time I think it was because the place I ordered it from also had an extra top cover which is the one I used because I did not want to drill into my original cover. Forgot completely where I got it from...

A TLR will fit on it as well but I cannot find one right now to late to go digging around for it, but I will try to get a picture of it with one soon.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    That's nicely done - one question: have you subjected that mount to a high round count?

Feedback Score
    Only about 200 rounds at the square range nothing serious but I am looking forward to seeing how it holds up at rob_s carbine night tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by k_cheerangie View Post
    Got some good ones it was a GG&G I forgot why I picked this one at the time I think it was because the place I ordered it from also had an extra top cover which is the one I used because I did not want to drill into my original cover. Forgot completely where I got it from...

A TLR will fit on it as well but I cannot find one right now to late to go digging around for it, but I will try to get a picture of it with one soon.

Resurecting this one to see if anyone has had any other creative ideas to mount a light on an ak upper or lower handguard. This is a good idea and works for me. I don't want to clamp anything to the barrel. The new IWC attachments for the MOE may be an option too, as it will put the light a little farther forward.

Also thinking a Galil style handgyard with the taller, flat side might give more flexibility in mount location.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    All right, I just ordered this IWC Slot n Mount combo with the intent to put it on my Arsenal SGL 31. My idea is to slightly flatten a spot on the handguard with a Dremel and then drill holes to mount the attachment. It looks like the backing plates may require a little relief with the Dremel on the backside of the handguard.

Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast