Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Options for Mounting a Light on an AK

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ill get some pics tonight when I get home, gotta install the MI mini mount (updated version) and take pics of that as well.

But yeah since the pic I posted was taken I switched to a Vltor scout mount and a SF light and it sits at 10-11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    This is my question too (for the slot in the lower). The clamp on barrel mounts are not what I want, although AZ6's DBMG might be a possibility for me. AZ6, can you post a pic of the milled version after the mod? I am trying to put the light at 10-11 o'clock and slightly forward with a tail cap button operation. The DBMG might work for me with a VTAC mount.
    That only problem I had with the 10 o'clock mount (I used the VLTOR offset on my ultimak with a surefire g2) was that it lit up the front sight to the point that it was difficult to see beyond it to the target.

Just my experience.

Mike
    Last edited by Mikey; 08-30-11 at 15:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Agree thats a concern however I came to the conclusion that since I'm running an optic its not an issue. Fo worst case scenario where my optic would be down I anticipate enviorments where a light would be needed would be within the confines of point and shoot range. YMMV but I feel that having the light control within easy reach and out the way negates the shadow casting issue accociated with side mounted lights compared to a bottom mount.

Feedback Score
    Anchor,

What is that rear sling mount you've got there? It looks like a plate that bolts on under the pistol grip, yes?
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah its the Echo 93 single point sling adapter. Running this now

Here are the mount pics you asked for Dwood

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OK, I have the IWC mount installed temporarily. I still need to dremel a little relief because the screws don't quite go through far enough to catch the threaded retaining plates. I drilled holes in the lower handguard slightly smaller than the screws. They self threaded and locked up tight enough to give a solid feel, but I wouldn't rely on the screw threaded into the plastic without the retaining nuts. I'm going to reverse the plates so that they act a little like Chicago posts. I really like where it puts the tail cap of the light but I may go to a one cell light to have less snagging problems.

Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    That setup looks perfect for my needs, especially with a single-cell light.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OK, the job is finished. I used the dremel to grind a little off the outside of the handuard, under the mount base, so the screws would go through far enough to catch the backing plates. I outlined the mount with a silver sharpie when I layed it out so I new where to grind it down. The handguard flares out a little toward the front so I had to grind a little deeper in the front half of the mounting area. I also reversed the mounting plates so the little tube puts a thread or two closer to the screw. They just reach the end of the threaded hole now and they locked down solidly. I used blue locktite.

I'm posting Anchor Zero Six's photo (top photo) that shows good detail of the area which has vertical and horizontal ribs as well as the rounded palm swell area.

Pay attention when laying it out. I had to grind a little off the front sling mount because the bottom screw on the light mount just barely touches it.

Sharpie outline helps. This mount is rock solid now ant the clickie cap is right where I want it.
    Last edited by DWood; 09-06-11 at 13:43.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123