Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Tools - What are the essentials?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

AR Tools - What are the essentials?

There's a certain satisfaction to figuring out some way to do a job with the wrong tools (or none at all) but having the right tools makes any job a hundred times easier, more efficient, and helps assure that it's done right.

I'd like to start putting together the right set of tools to work on ARs. Not just for the sake of assembly, but also properly to clean, maintain, and repair them.

What's absolutely essential? What is nice to have, but only if you've already got the basics? What's a worthless gimmick?

(Hint to vendors: I'd love to see somebody put together an "essentials" kit at a reasonable price)

Thanks.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    There is a vendor other than the paid advertisers here, who has been having speciality tools made to work on ARs that make things much easier

Feedback Score
    A set of punches, strap wrenches, the DPMS armorer's wrench (although I had to tweak mine a bit to make it work on FF rails), the action block from Brownell's that goes inside the upper reciever, a 5lb sledge, torgue wrench 1/2" drive, castle nut wrench, allen wrenches, moly grease, flathead and phillips screwdrivers, and the MOACKS. That's about all I can think of for now when it comes to complete assembly/disassembly.

For cleaning, it's personal preference. Having said that I go with the complete kit from Otis, a Dewey rod, some q-tips, cloth patches, brass brushes, old toothbrushes, brake cleaner, Militec-1, SLIP 2000......that about does it.
    "If I didn't know you, I'd probably go get something and kill you with it." yeabillieboa

Feedback Score
    Ditto on the above. Here's a pic I took when I first bought my tools and started doing the work myself. The little plastic vise block that goes into the mag well; Its like an extra pair of hands. Brownell's makes two little items that have really made FSB work much more easier for me: The FSB block (round orange) and FSB taper pin starter.

The little white zig-zag shaped thing (Sinclair) holds the upper a few inches up from the lower, using the same hole as the take down pin. Normally I don't need it, since its easier for me to completely seperate the upper and lower when cleaning. But I have a few Colts with pita large hole screws instead of standard pivot pins, and that little tool beats simultaneously twisting two opposing screwdrivers...

I'd also recommend a Dremel.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You'll need some sort of action block, I prefer the DPMS one where the upper receiver drops down onto it and is held on my the take down pin holes. A lot of people think these aren't supported (they are). I've probably installed/removed over 100 barrels now using this block.

Roll pin punches and roll pin starters are a must have. Good barrel wrenches are nice. I have a DPMS multi wrench, USGI wrench, PRI freefloat wrench (works well on Larue, DD, YHM, PRI and other soft bbl nuts) and I now have a DD Lite rail wrench. The new Larue bbl is on backorder which looks really nice.

I also like a lower receiver block (I have a DPMS flapper) for the lower to hold it while working on it.

So basically I'm a tool junkie, 4 of my uncles are machinists/mechanics that taught me to use the right tool for the job.

Oh yeah, also if you can find one of these it's the mother of all M4 stock castle nut wrenches. It's works very well on staked on castle nuts and is sold by Tonys Custom Uppers out of Ohio.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbore
    There is a vendor other than the paid advertisers here, who has been having speciality tools made to work on ARs that make things much easier
    Who would that be???

Feedback Score
    What are you all using the 5lb sledges for? FSB's? Kisara... portable mongo... lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PossumKop
    What are you all using the 5lb sledges for? FSB's? Kisara... portable mongo... lol
    Yep! I prefer to use the 5lb sledge and take a gentler more controlled swing.

I also forgot to mention, I took a worn out mag and gutted it. I broke of the floor plate tabs and drove a block of wood into it. I clamp it down on the vice and slide a lower onto it! Presto, cheap and easy lower reciever block.
    "If I didn't know you, I'd probably go get something and kill you with it." yeabillieboa

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisara
    Ditto on the above. Here's a pic I took when I first bought my tools and started doing the work myself. The little plastic vise block that goes into the mag well; Its like an extra pair of hands. Brownell's makes two little items that have really made FSB work much more easier for me: The FSB block (round orange) and FSB taper pin starter.

The little white zig-zag shaped thing (Sinclair) holds the upper a few inches up from the lower, using the same hole as the take down pin. Normally I don't need it, since its easier for me to completely seperate the upper and lower when cleaning. But I have a few Colts with pita large hole screws instead of standard pivot pins, and that little tool beats simultaneously twisting two opposing screwdrivers...

I'd also recommend a Dremel.
    The Brownell's sight base block is pretty good but needs to be modified. If using a FF rail the block obstructs placement of the base. Also, the notch for the HG cap is too shallow while the barrel channel is too deep.

I chopped off each side of the block to accommodate FF rails and the HG cap. I made a small spacer for the barrel channel.

It is an OK product but I think it needs work when considering how much it costs.

I have the rest of the tools you have laid out plus a GI three prong wrench and polyester strap wrench (the rubber strap wrenches just tear in half.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What grease should I be using on the barrel nut? Right now I just have some hight temp "moly" grease that I bought at an auto parts store. I can't remember what it is exactly but I'll look when I get home. What recommendations do you guys have provided I have the wrong stuff?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast