Thread: Colt Model 6830 7.62x39

Feedback Score

Colt Model 6830 7.62x39

Hello: I have a Model 6830 7.62x39. Can I use this Colts lower with any generic - say .223 caliber - upper without any changes to the lower. For example do I have to purchase a new bolt and bolt carrier to use for any other caliber?

other comments and questions: I understand that this model was made for about 4 years in the low to mid 90s; mine is a pre-ban year SN LO10169 and has no bayonet lug but does have a birdcage flash hider. Does anyone know how many 6830s were made?
    The new C-products magazines work fine.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Feedback Score
    Yes. You can use your 6830 Lower with a .223 upper. You will need a .223 bolt. Your bolt is different.

Are you talking about eh C Products 25 rd mags?
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply Cold Z. Where do I order a new bolt? I guess the new bolt will fit inside the old carrier? Needless to say I am learning - through people like you - the ways of the AR platform.

I have the C-products 30-rnd SS Body BT Assembly CP-Black-CS mags. They were backordered, but I received them several months ago. I am now seeing them at gun shows.

Feedback Score
    Marrbarb:

There is a banner at the top of this page for Brownells. They will have what you need. I am not sure if the new bolt will fit in the old carrier, I think it will. But, ask for tech support when you call and they can tell you.

With a flat top/A3 upper and a rail on your 6830, with reliable mags, that is a formidable weapon you have there, imho.

Hope that helps.
    Cold Zero