Thread: Ballistic trajectory help

Feedback Score

Ballistic trajectory help

TIA

16 inch socom. 308.

At what range do I sight it in to get a longer range sight in once the bullet drops again?

Glad to be on the site.

Feedback Score
    Welcome to the forum!

I don't know exactly what you are asking, but there are ballistics calculators online that will allow you to plug in velocity( I would just use a couple hundred fps slower than what the manufacture claims), bullet weight, etc, along with different zero ranges and you can compare charts to show you how different zero ranges result in different trajectories.

I have used hornady's ballistics calculator for such purposes.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I don't know exactly what you are asking, but there are ballistics calculators online that will allow you to plug in velocity( I would just use a couple hundred fps slower than what the manufacture claims), bullet weight, etc, along with different zero ranges and you can compare charts to show you how different zero ranges result in different trajectories.

I have used hornady's ballistics calculator for such purposes.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Their calculator does not have an adjustment for barrel length.

Still looking.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What cartridge are you shooting? Perhaps a member has chronograph data for a 16" barrel that you can use to calculate bullet drop.

How far will you be shooting? Iron sights or scope?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugbyreb View Post
    Thanks. Their calculator does not have an adjustment for barrel length.

Still looking.
    this is because you have to put in a bullet velocity since reloaders can load different velocities for a standard barrel length. You enter the bullets data and it spits out where it theoretically will travel. This is why I said to put a few hundred fps slower than posted velocities - which are almost always done with longer barrels. Calculator will get you close, and actual data for your gun/load will need to be verified with live fire in different conditions, and those conditions taken into account.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    this is because you have to put in a bullet velocity
    This. Barrel length is irrelevant. Velocity is what determines trajectory.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I too have used the Hornady calculator. I didn't have access to a chronograph, so I called them & asked for some help. They gave me an estimate of the velocity to expect with their load in my 16" CL barrel, which gave a nice easy starting point. Seemed like real good folks, really helpful in my case, since I'm using Hornandy factory ammo.

Like MegademiC said, you'll still have to shoot at the ranges in question to know for a fact what you're getting, no substitute for that exists.

Feedback Score
    Just sight your rifle in first at the desired "longer range sight in". Then check your short range POI.
    Dave

INNOVATION IS SELDOM ACCOMPLISHED WITHOUT CONTROVERSY.
    My first rule of a gunfight, thanks to John Farnam's wise advice. "Get away from there!"