Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Improvised Fixes, whats yours?

Feedback Score

Question Field Improvised Fixes, whats yours?

I want to start a discussion about field improvising, thinking outside the box, to fix whatever you got with what you have.

Examples of some that I've heard, and some that I've used:

Replacing a broken fan belt with a piece of rope or panty hose.

Using a .22 shell case to replace the old style car fuses (highly NOT recommended).

Using a vehicle battery to power an electric well pump.

Jump start another vehicle without jumper cables.

You get the Idea. Tell us what happened and what your method was to remedy the situation. Disclaimer, no offense to Rednecks!

Edited by moderator: Excellent post... I only moved it because it seemed to fit in this forum better.

One Rule: When listing a "trick", please note if you have actually tried it and know for sure that it works -- otherwise please state that you do not know for sure that it works.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 06-22-09 at 20:34.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Zip-ties and 100mph tape can fix *anything*...

Feedback Score
    I will list a few things that I have heard about.
    Uncooked potato cut in half pushed in a hole in the radiator.
    Pepper pored int the radiator supposed to slow down or stop minor leaks.
    Most radiator leaks start close to the hose clamp just cut off the part that leaks and reinstall.[I have done that a few times works good when you can]

Wrap aluminum foil around blown fuses [bubble gum wrapper is supposed to work to]

If I can think of any more I will repost.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Bicycle tire tube to fill the gap between my Cab and pickup cap. This allow use of cab heater to enter and remain in truck bed and keep windows ice free in the winter.

Feedback Score

Hairspray

My father once used hairspray to dry out a distributor on a vehicle that wouldn't start after the engine got wet crossing a flooded creek.

Baby powder will quiet down a fan belt that squalls.

Hot glue sticks and a bic lighter for temporary fixes to smaller holes in a boat or canoe.

Kotex pads in the first aid kit for wound compresses/bandages.

Everyone knows that you can urinate in an over heated radiator of a car low on coolant when antifreeze/water isnt available.

Rubbing an apple core on wiper blades will clean the blades and keep them from squeeking.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    Coka-cola on corroded battery terminals [works pretty good]
    Coka-cola on fan belt squalls [surprisingly it does work ]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rat31465 View Post

Kotex pads in the first aid kit for wound compresses/bandages.
    Man I can't believe I forgot that one. They make excellent compression bandages!
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Coca-Cola in washing machine to remove diesel and jet fuel odor in clothing. Just heard that one today.

Ratchet strap around a tire to reseat the bead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    Coca-Cola in washing machine to remove diesel and jet fuel odor in clothing. Just heard that one today.

Ratchet strap around a tire to reseat the bead.
    hadn't thought of using the ratchet strap to reseal the bead on a tire...bet it does work.
    Last edited by rat31465; 06-18-09 at 10:10.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat31465 View Post
    hadn't thought of using the ratchet strap to reseal the bead on a tire...bet it does work.
    Spray a bit of starting fluid inside and toss a match to set the bead. Acetylene or propane works too.

Keep a length of baling wire in your tool kit for field repairs on your transportation. Works for linkages, clamps, etc.

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast