Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Field Improvised Fixes, whats yours?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNukem View Post
    These aren't fixes, but they're improvisations...here's what I've actually done for extended periods of time....

Cook meat - Wrap meat in aluminum foil with tails at both ends, the wrap tails around the exhaust manifold pipe. Push the foil and meat against the pipe for best heat conduction.
    My grandfather had a similar cooking trick with a metal basket attached to the trucks engine manifold.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one: If you need flame and have only cheap empty lighters (the 3 for $1 kind), you can get quite a bit of usable flame from them after they die by removing the windcover, lifting the gas adjustment ring. Spin the ring to the left, careful not engage the plastic gear that controls the actual valve. Re-engage the gear and move the valve back to max flame position - depending on how little is left, you may have to repeat it a few times. This trick has saved my goose more than once.

Also, if you ever break or lose a hammer or trigger pin, there's a .148" nail (forgot the gauge) that, if long enough, can be used to hold your FCG together - just peen the other end off after everything is in place. It may feel sloppy, but a sloppy gun is better than no gun.

Using the plastic bag cordage trick I listed earlier, I once repaired a wooden chair for an overweight friend that inadvertently smashed it while taking a particularly hard sit. After making enough cordage from the plastic grocery bags, I rigged the chair up with it and he would brag years later that out of the four chairs that came with the dinette set, the only one that still works is the grocery bag repaired one.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

I also like to carry small cans of Sterno for instant fire. Open the top, light the Sterno and set the whole thing into the firepit. Usually works real well
    Sterno and primers can be used as an improvised distraction device: Open Sterno, use a toothpick or stick to drive primers (I used small pistol primers) in at various depths into the gel. Light Sterno... The primers will only ignite as the flame reaches them (pushing primers in deeper will give you more of a time delay). If using larger primers, you may blow all the Sterno out of the can, in which case you've just created a time-delay incendiary device.
    Last edited by Shao; 01-12-14 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    Use a piece of 3/4" metal banding material and make your own. I've made two and they both worked great. Alot easier solution is to hide a spare door key behind the license plate.
    I zip tied a spare set of keys under the frame of my truck and ended up needing them once out in the hills. I've also locked myself out of several vehicles, once in the mountains. I was surprised how easy it was to get in. I finally came upon a really effective way to avoid being locked out of my vehicles. I had spares made and just carry them in my pocket. Always. Usually two spares.

I knew a Navajo guy that told me a story. His relatives broke a truck frame. They used an axe to chop a Juniper log to fit in the frame channel, then wrapped it completely with strips of inner tube. They ended up driving it for a couple years.

I've tried Coke on batteries in the past and it worked great. I tried it recently and it didnt work. I ended up having to use baking soda in warm water to clean up my battery.

If your gun gets balky out and about, pulling the dipstick gets you oil easily. Was shooting a friends 1911 once, it was operating in super slow motion, like about 1-2 seconds to close the slide after shooting. Oiled it with the dipstick and it ran fine. Its also not that hard to keep a bottle of gun oil in your vehicle, along with a basic GI cleaning kit and some extra brushes and patches. Been very handy a number of times.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This thread is fantastic. Great read..

Feedback Score
    I specialize in gear, so i suppose ill give my two cents on field improvised fixes for gear.
    important tools to note:

>Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl (Great heavy duty sewing needle for sewing Canvas or 500/1000D cordura
    >Shoe goo (Its rubber glue that can glue fabric together like super glue)
    >Some 500D cordura as well as some waterproof poncho (Patching holes)
    >550 Paracord (Pretty obvious)
    >100 MPH tape
    >Assorted zip ties

With shoe goo, you can patch holes in packs by sandwiching 500D cordura between the hole.
    With the sewing awl, you can patch tears in packs, then using 500D and shoe goo you may then further patch it up.
    You can use waterproof poncho liner with shoe goo, then taped with 100 MPH tape for patching tents
    With tape, zip ties and 550 cord, I think i can combine any two things and make them function together.
    Great for tying kit together, or repurposing kit that has broken.
    Keep some 50/50 nyco ripstop around if you want to fix clothing, shoe goo is a great way to patch clothing with using 50/50 nyco.
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My favorite has always been jump starting dead car battery with Aspirin.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    My favorite has always been jump starting dead car battery with Aspirin.
    use non-coated aspirin for this, coated doesn't work.

Battery cable ends get stretched? Especially on late model where you have to purchase a costly factory cable to replace it?

Get std copper water pipe, cut a length to fit the height of the battery terminal, cut the piece lengthwise, slide it over the terminal. A shim for the cable end to tighten it back up.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789