Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Improvised Fixes, whats yours?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Spray a bit of starting fluid inside and toss a match to set the bead. Acetylene or propane works too.

Keep a length of baling wire in your tool kit for field repairs on your transportation. Works for linkages, clamps, etc.

Buckaroo
    I was waiting for some one to post that I have seen it done a few times also I have tried it my self 1 or 2 times. On big heavy truck , tires it seems to work OK but that trick can go bad real quick I have had a tire blow the entire tread off on a passenger car tire very loud concussion and me checking my self to make sure that I had all of my fingers and toes. That would not be my first choice the ratchet strap sounds like a very good Idea if I ever get a chance to use it I will try it out.
    Starter fluid very very risky.

The baling wire is a good Idea also.

Feedback Score

Plumbers Tape

Or Metal strapping is another good thing to keep around for fixes as is 600V Electrical tape.
    Last edited by rat31465; 06-18-09 at 17:28.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Car wax on a scratched CD/DVD will fix most scratches. Just make sure when you are cleaning it off, you work from the center of the disk to the outer edge in a straight line, no circles!!!
    Last edited by Zhurdan; 06-18-09 at 16:16.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    100 MPH tape for wound closures (butterfly stitches).

Cheyenne pepper to speed minor wound healing.

Garbage bag for a solar still.

Super glue (same uses as 100 MHP tape).

Ceramic pot for sharpening knives.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Slim Jim

Use a piece of 3/4" metal banding material and make your own. I've made two and they both worked great. Alot easier solution is to hide a spare door key behind the license plate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    to hide a spare door key behind the license plate.

License Plate theft is almost as common as vehicle theft. Hiding your key there can turn the former into the latter...

Feedback Score
    Here's one I've done several times. During camping or hunting in cold weather, when building a fire, dig a pit and line it with rocks. After putting out the fire so you don't burn down the forest, push rocks into pit and cover with several inches of dirt. You now can sleep on top of the pit and the rocks & coals will keep you warm (If not Hot) throughout the night.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 06-22-09 at 20:45.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went up a hill in AK with no "mountain money" came down the hill, minus half a cotton sock. Had a friend who used to do this kinda think almost routinely, mostly because he lacked foresight. His hoodies eventually lacked sleeves. When he'd show up around the fire minus sleeves, everybody would ask how his last shit went.

Feedback Score
    carry really fine steel wool for use as tinder. even soaking wet, just wring it out and it lights fast; it will rust, so rotate it if you have it in a bugout kit.

a piece of nylon stocking over the primary filter of your water intake (katadyn style filters) will extend life of filter.

to fix minor scratches in glass lenses, use some lipstick or tooth paste. Both are very fine abrasives and will take the scratch out without "fuzzing" the glass lense. Lipstick is commonly used as the final polishing agent on home made telescope optics.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Feedback Score
    1) A bar of soap (real soap) will plug a hole in a fuel tank.

2) A small can of wd-40 to dry out engine electrical systems

3) Distilled Water (its non-conductive) to clean electronics

4) A can of coke can also clean road grime and grease off windshields.

5) Hairspray will take ink and some makeup out of a dress shirt..(don't ask...but its true)

6) A small nail will take up the space in a battery terminal that won't otherwise tighten.

...more as I think of them
    If you can read this, thank a teacher...if it's written in English, thank a United States Marine!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast