Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Improvised Fixes, whats yours?

Feedback Score
    Touching a plain old nine-volt battery to the fine steel wool will ignite it if you don't have matches. Guitar strings can be unwound and use in place of other "High Resistance" wire. On Mythbusters I watched them add egg to the radiator to stop a small leak and it worked.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by wake.joe; 09-24-09 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    Raw honey for healing wounds. The sores diabetics get on their legs seem to respond to this quite well.

The glass filament out of a 1000watt Sodium Halide light bulb works great as a sharpening rod.

Dryer lint as tinder works great. Also keep some duct tape with your fire kit to stick the tinder to when the wind is blowing hard.

I have others just can't think of them right now.

Feedback Score
    Cinnamon for smaller leaks in the cars cooling system.

I`ll second the raw potato for pierced radiators, one of the girls in the local LR club drove 150 miles with one after a branch pierced her radiator on an outing. Some minor topping up of the coolant was neccesary on the trip home, but a good field grade fix anyhow...

Some lengths of electrical wire for juryrigging lights and electrical fans directly from the battery may come in handy as well, atleast if you have a basic understanding of car electrics or drive a Rover 4X4...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Plain aspirin to jump start a dead battery.

This has saved my bacon many times.

The salicylic acid is enough to get them going in many cases.

2 tabs per cell, fill with water, let dissolve. Make sure you give it time to dissolve as you are only going to get one or two shots at turning it over.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    I can use my daily glasses to start a fire if needed.
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris2163 View Post
    Cheyenne pepper to speed minor wound healing.
    A little more detail for clarity...

Cayenne pepper helps stop the bleeding when directly applied to wounds in powder form and simultaneously acts as an anti-infection agent. I don't know how it rates compared to quikclot and similar products, but it's definitely better than nothing.

The hotter the better.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    Touching a plain old nine-volt battery to the fine steel wool will ignite it if you don't have matches. Guitar strings can be unwound and use in place of other "High Resistance" wire. On Mythbusters I watched them add egg to the radiator to stop a small leak and it worked.
    Good one, just went out to the garage and it works very well! Thanks for the tip...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    when crossing rivers we put chewing gum over hole in distributor cap to keep water out & uncover it the other side of river

With the help of a local village in the middle of the night our capture truck (a 7 ton Nissan) had no starter & died in flat sand and we jacked it up, put rope around the tire and popped clutch in 2nd gear while pull starting the truck like a giant lawn mower. Took 20 of us a couple of hours but it worked & is easier on smaller trucks.

We all carry bandanas in the bush and we call them "101s" and around the campfire with some "refreshments" each person has to come up with a NEW use for the bandana and you keep taking turns till you get to 101 and you would be surprised at how many uses you can come up with a for a 101

Feedback Score
    If your car starter isn't cranking, it may have developed a flat spot. Try tapping the starter lightly with a hammer, sometimes that frees up the brushes inside. You can also try rocking the car and it should shake the brushes just enough to get it moving.

A cool firestarting trick involving a any aluminum can with a parabolic bottom, so its domeshaped inwards, like any soda can. You also need very fine steel wool. Polish the bottom of the can until you can see your reflection as much as possible. Make sure the entire dome shape is as shiny as can be.

Get the center of the dome ( which now resembles a REFLECTOR of a flashlight) pointing straight at the sun ( you can figure this out by aligning and rotating the can until the shadow it casts is a perfect circle, or just about.

put a very small piece of paper (no bigger than thumb) in front of can, center mass , and move it back and forth until the dot cast by the can onto the piece is as small as it gets. Keep it still until the piece of material ignites, and light whatever you need to light!

Sorry for the idiot proof longwinded explanation, seeing how I'm an idiot I like laying things out.

I'll think of something more!
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast