Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Improvised Fixes, whats yours?

Feedback Score
    Salty water will remove blood stains ........... Heavily stained?? Use more salt.

I quick urban fix: Get gum on something, then put the item in the icebox till the gum freezes and easily pick it off.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If you have any electronics that take AAAA batteries or even AAA and you run out, pop open a 9v and inside for x6 AAAA batteries, and with an extra bit of foil you can use a AAAA inside of a AAA spot.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Some guy not brave enough to put his name on it, so he slapped Jefferson's name on it.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by tampam4 View Post
    If your car starter isn't cranking, it may have developed a flat spot. Try tapping the starter lightly with a hammer, sometimes that frees up the brushes inside. You can also try rocking the car and it should shake the brushes just enough to get it moving.
    tampam That reminds me of a trick with the alternator. If you think your alternator is getting weak try tapping it with a hammer while the engine is running [just the case of course] You should see black dust blowing out the back of it. Its from the brushes. If you see a lot of dust coming out of it check your voltage gauge every time I have done it the voltage reading will be higher.

Feedback Score
    Not really a trick, but this is important to know. I took a 6 hour road-trip this past weekend. My mileage on the way there was about 14.2 mpg. Before we left to come back, I checked my fluids and tire pressure (which I should have done before I even left...)

Checking my tire pressure showed I was about 10 psi under what it should be. Besides the fact that this is dangerous for any relative high-speed, highway driving, it kills your gas mileage. On the way back I was getting damn near 16 mpg.

My goal for this next week: Gap my spark plugs, replace my air filter and replace the headlight that was snapped in half from the tire debris that hit it.

Great fun...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rat31465 View Post
    hadn't thought of using the ratchet strap to reseal the bead on a tire...bet it does work.
    It works very well. When mounting HMVEE run flats in Iraq we would use a heavy duty 3" ratchet straps. When they become too hard to ratchet put a piece of metal in the handle for leverage.

Feedback Score
    If your driveshaft throws a weight use a hoseclamp to replace it. Just put the clasp where the weight was. If you cant tell, just clamp it down and drive, then shift it a bit. If the vibration gets better you're moving it the right direction.
    In general maintenance, top off the battery cells with distilled water once or twice a year (yes you want to use distilled) it will help your battery last longer. Don't waste your money on power steering fluid, just use cheap ATF. Unless you have something weird, they're basically the same thing. I wouldn't recommend power steering fluid in the trans though unless it's an emergency.
    Also, when you replace your radiator hoses & belts, throw them in the trunk. While yes they may be dry and squeaky if one gives out on you they're better than nothing and you know they fit.

Feedback Score
    I've repaired an oil pan tear with JB Weld, that was in 99 and it's still holding. After that event, I do carry everything I need for an oil change and some contact cleaner in my off road rigs. I was lucky to be camped near an auto parts store the first time. Not so sure I will be if it happens again.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tampam4 View Post
    If your car starter isn't cranking, it may have developed a flat spot. Try tapping the starter lightly with a hammer, sometimes that frees up the brushes inside. You can also try rocking the car and it should shake the brushes just enough to get it moving.
    i think most flywheel/flexplates have inspection covers.. if so, pull the inspection cover, and hand-crank the flywheel with a flat screwdriver to get past the flat spot. smack the starter, as yo suggest, to knock out the carbon and get better contact with the brushes, and try again.
    ---
    you can get emergency power for radios and such by pinching wires between fuse contacts on your fusebox, though i'm not up on all the levels of juice you get from what. but i did power a CB that way, once.
    ---
    if your heater-core blows, you can cut off one of the connections and use it as a coupler between your IN and OUT hoses, bypassing the heater core... you won't have heat (or defrost/defog), but it'll get you back on the road. i also used the sleeve from a screw-gun bit extender as the coupler once. worked.
    ---
    if your steering column-mounted shifter seizes up on you in your automatic, you can pop the linkage off under the hood and manually cycle through gears... pop the linkage, put your truck's E-brake on, get out, push the truck into DRIVE, get back in, take the E-brake off, and drive... sucks when you have to reverse, or really do anything other than drive- but again, it'll get you back on the road.
    ---
    if your ignition cylinder goes out on you, pull the cover off the steering column and expose the ignition push-rod. you might need to disconnect it from the ignition cylinder, but it'll start the vehicle if you manually push the push-rod through into the relay. this may not work if the ignition cylinder is so bad that it won't unlock the steering wheel (you won't be able to steer), but most steering wheel locks can be over-powered by turning aganst the lock really hard.
    ---
    if your ignition switch itself goes out, you can also start older trucks by arching the solonoid mounted near your battery. pull the starter ground, and use a screw-driver to arch between the positive and the S terminal. make sure you don't arch anything else, or make yourself a ground- it WILL **** you up.
    ---
    if you have to take something complex apart in the field, and know you won't remember how it went back together, take pictures of it with your camera phone
    ---
    laptops make great alternative power sources for phones, MP3 players, GPSs, etc... just make sure you carry a USB-to-miniUSB cord with it.
    ---
    i've done all of these. i've had to do a LOT of field improvision... i'll post more as i think of them.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    -Burnt cork can be used to Camo clothes and equipment. (works very well and lasts longer than camo paint- if you drink a lot of wine then you will have enough for everyone you know)

- Shaving cream to remove carbon (it works)
    Last edited by docsherm; 03-29-11 at 07:05.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    ratchet strap works great on tires, done it many times at farm on tractors, saved a lot on service calls. In a pinch heavy duty rope and a stick will make do.
    Also used an egg on tractor radiator, still holding up.
    made back up candles to carry in woods, melted down dime store candles, put wick into used twelve gauge shells. burns good as before, shell case makes them sturdier, won;t break as easy. Also keep small bag of dryer lint for tinder to start fire in 2 old film canisters.
    one last idea, changed cell phone carriers a year or so ago, kept old phone because battery was junk, put in glove box with car charger , in an emergency it will still call 911 , great if regular phone breaks or can't get service.
    Last edited by scruffy_smith; 04-06-11 at 23:16.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast