Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Field Improvised Fixes, whats yours?

Feedback Score
    I keep rolls of this on the boat, in my truck/car, my shop and in the house.
    http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CLX...FQoZQgodymx6Nw

Basic I keep for emergency repairs in with tools.

zip ties
    Rescue tape
    duct tape
    550 para cord
    stainless wrapping wire
    Marine silicone (clear)
    Cedar plugs
    plain bar of soap (Diesel leaks)
    hose clamps
    Zip loc Gallon bags

I know I didnt describe how to use them but they work for temp emergency fixes
    I have fixed fuel lines, made alternator belt, hose leaks ect with above list.

Feedback Score
    I keep a small spool of bailing wire in the truck. It really paid off when the muffler hanger broke!

In the entertainment industry we use gaff tape. Think of it as duck tape on steroids when it comes to stickiness and strength. I have used it for bandages to hanging curtians.

Electrical tape works well for when you need to keep pressure on a wound. The eleastic stretch in it can cutt off flow so be careful.

Instead of rail protectors on my AR I filled the slots by wrapping the handguard with black 50lbs sash cord. I have almost 20' on it. Works for shoelaces, fixing slings, tournequiets, carry handles, etc

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 60buckscash View Post
    Instead of rail protectors on my AR I filled the slots by wrapping the handguard with black 50lbs sash cord. I have almost 20' on it. Works for shoelaces, fixing slings, tournequiets, carry handles, etc
    Pics of that?
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    I got it from work (entertainment tech) but this is it here. The glazed line works better! At the start end I tied a knot on the hand guard and then wrapped over it. For the finish I looped it around and then fished it back under itself. It aids in gripping without tearing up a bare hand. (The Allen key is to mount my rear BUIS. I know I need a P.E.P.R. mount.)

Last edited by 60buckscash; 11-20-11 at 10:36.

Feedback Score
    Cotton balls covered in vaseline make great tinder and will burn for 5-7 minutes alone. I keep a few in a ziplock in all my packs and cars.
    I keep mine in an empty 35mm film canister.

Someone already mentioned maxi-pads as bandages and they're great. They're sterile and individually wrapped. I also keep a couple of tampons with plastic applicators in my web gear first-aid pouches. Stick it in a bullet hole and push the plunger. It'll swell in place and plug the wound, applying pressure inside the wound to stop/slow bleeding. Then cover it with the pad to help keep crap out of the wound.

John

Feedback Score
    had a good friend fix a thermostat in a truck with a pencil, rubberband and a piece of cardboard...don't ask particulars as I am no mechanic, and all the fix looked like to me was a a pencil poked thru cardboard with a rubber band around it....made it 2+ hours home though :-)

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by onebigelf View Post
    I keep mine in an empty 35mm film canister.

Someone already mentioned maxi-pads as bandages and they're great. They're sterile and individually wrapped. I also keep a couple of tampons with plastic applicators in my web gear first-aid pouches. Stick it in a bullet hole and push the plunger. It'll swell in place and plug the wound, applying pressure inside the wound to stop/slow bleeding. Then cover it with the pad to help keep crap out of the wound.

John
    I used to use tampons and maxi pads on the ambulance when I worked in a particularly nasty area. Should have seen the look on the trauma center staff faces first time I brought that in! Learned about it from a SEAL Corpsman. Worked well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    I want to start a discussion about field improvising, thinking outside the box, to fix whatever you got with what you have.

Examples of some that I've heard, and some that I've used:

Replacing a broken fan belt with a piece of rope or panty hose.

Using a .22 shell case to replace the old style car fuses (highly NOT recommended).

Using a vehicle battery to power an electric well pump.

Jump start another vehicle without jumper cables.

You get the Idea. Tell us what happened and what your method was to remedy the situation. Disclaimer, no offense to Rednecks!

Edited by moderator: Excellent post... I only moved it because it seemed to fit in this forum better.

One Rule: When listing a "trick", please note if you have actually tried it and know for sure that it works -- otherwise please state that you do not know for sure that it works.
    Ditto! Great idea for a post. Thanks for putting it hear Mod!
    Last edited by Teufelshund; 06-13-12 at 23:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TunaFisherman View Post
    I keep rolls of this on the boat, in my truck/car, my shop and in the house.
    http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CLX...FQoZQgodymx6Nw

Basic I keep for emergency repairs in with tools.

zip ties
    Rescue tape
    duct tape
    550 para cord
    stainless wrapping wire
    Marine silicone (clear)
    Cedar plugs
    plain bar of soap (Diesel leaks)
    hose clamps
    Zip loc Gallon bags

I know I didnt describe how to use them but they work for temp emergency fixes
    I have fixed fuel lines, made alternator belt, hose leaks ect with above list.
    Nice! I need to put some of this in my truck.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Talking

You can sharpen knives on the bottom of ceramic plates, coffee mugs and on the edge of a car window. I sharpen my kitchen knives on coffee mugs all the time and it works great....especially when it impresses the girlfriend!
    Last edited by RECONMAN; 08-14-12 at 20:51.
    SEMPER FI

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast