Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kit Buildup - Burn Pack

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    No worries, and where you live it's a valid point to layer. Hypothermia kills trauma patients quickly, moreso for burn patients. Let's hope you never have to use the stuff...I worked in a burn center and burns still give me the heebie-jeebies.
    Agreed, burns are horrific, I don't wish them upon my worst enemies.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~ George Washington

”The right of the people to keep and bear…arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country…” ~ James Madison

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I worked in a burn center and you should see what we do in the days and weeks after they arrive! The cleaning and debridement is a never-ending process, and is quite painful.

This is a good thread, and my two cents is that in a pre-hospital arena "sterile" sheets really need not be sterile, but any sheet as long it does the job and is warm, and do not irrigate burns unless they are relatively small as burn patients get hypothermic very quickly (exception is chemical burns, you gotta get the chemicals off).

For my paramedic training because the hospital here is a teaching hospital I opted to spend an extra 24 hrs in the burn unit on top of our required 48 hrs, I really enjoyed it and learned alot.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~ George Washington

”The right of the people to keep and bear…arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country…” ~ James Madison

Feedback Score

Pair of Sterile Gloves

IMHO if you have access to them, a very large pair of sterile gloves ( 8.5 or 9) would be of great benefit. Hand burns are very common. I find in treating hand burns, using typical gauze around a hand wound will eat up alot of supplies and very quickly if changing the dressings at any interval. Placing silvadene ointment into a sterile glove and then placing the hand in them covers the hand while keeping it clean and covered. Also, the right/left hand can be turned inside out if 2 left/right hand wounds occur.

If you have access to it, additional silvadene (You will find you will never have enough) and a sterile tongue depressor for easy application would be my choice for additions to your great kit.

Nice thread

Feedback Score
    Definitely flush the burn with the sterile water, and kerlix is my favorite securing wrap. Hypothermia blankets are real cheap and very small packaged so they are easy to fit. Solid burn pack.

Feedback Score
    Having versatility is good, especially as described above using diaper safety pins. These have many uses in trauma (Finger splints, and if needed you can hold a large wound together by going apex to apex) In my expirience with burns you might also want to add an airway device. I only say this due to the thermal sensativity of the throat most notably the Larynx and vocal cords if a flash burn has occured in these areas breathing will be severly impeaded. We always carried an OPA , you might want to consider throwing one of those in your burn kit. If you have been trained and have access to them, obviously a high dose steroid push would be ideal to mitigate swelling, however if this is not possible you might want to consider an airway intervention. Just my opinion.

Stay Safe
    That Others May Live
    S-G-M 09032012

Feedback Score

Burn care

I cooked the skin off of the top of my left hand up to my mid forearm total 3rd degree.. I got very lucky. But while I was being treated the nurse gave me a small jar of GENERIC NAME: SILVER SULFADIAZINE - TOPICAL (SIL-ver SIL-fa-DYE-a-zeen) to keep in my first aid kit for future use when and if severe burns occur. They used that stuff every day for 3 months as a type of antibiotic ointment on my hand after they scrubbed away the scar tissue daily. I guess the silver in it acts like an antibiotic and kills germs. Now I'm not a medic or any expert on burns. So please dont shoot the messenger. But I still keep a fresh supply in my backpacking first aid kit. I hope this helps someone out there if they happen upon a severe victim.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sincitymx View Post
    I cooked the skin off of the top of my left hand up to my mid forearm total 3rd degree.. I got very lucky. But while I was being treated the nurse gave me a small jar of GENERIC NAME: SILVER SULFADIAZINE - TOPICAL (SIL-ver SIL-fa-DYE-a-zeen) to keep in my first aid kit for future use when and if severe burns occur. They used that stuff every day for 3 months as a type of antibiotic ointment on my hand after they scrubbed away the scar tissue daily. I guess the silver in it acts like an antibiotic and kills germs. Now I'm not a medic or any expert on burns. So please dont shoot the messenger. But I still keep a fresh supply in my backpacking first aid kit. I hope this helps someone out there if they happen upon a severe victim.
    Yeah, silvadene is the same as Silver Sulfadiazine. I think it's prescription only, which sucks. In a pinch bacitracin or neosporin work, once the "heat" is removed (vaseline bases can retain heat and worsen thermal burns, in theory). BTW, if you're using it, you still need to clean the burn first.

Don't work so well on chemical burns, AFAIK.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123