Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kit Buildup - Burn Pack

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Would you want to clean the burnt area with water, sterile or not, before applying gauze?
    Glock 22
    Beretta TX4

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Feedback Score
    If possible you would want to flush the burn area with as much sterile water as you can, especially if it is a chemical burn.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~ George Washington

”The right of the people to keep and bear…arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country…” ~ James Madison

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This seems like it would be a good burn kit based on all the recommendations from others. Maybe break up the one big bottle of sterile water into two smaller just to make kit a little smaller.

One Roll of Kerlix Gauze
    One Roll of 3" Kling
    One Small Cold Packs
    Six Wound Cleansing Pads w/Lidocaine
    One 250ml Bottle of Sterile Water
    One Tube of Bacitracin
    Six Safety Pins, Four Large and Two Small
    Scissors
    Glock 22
    Beretta TX4

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Feedback Score
    That sounds like a good burn kit. I would add a burn sheet and mylar blanket. If you cant get a burn sheet you can use a mylar blanket. Just make sure all burns are covered before using just the Mylar blanket.

When you have burns you loose the ability to regulate body temperature the burn sheet and Mylar blanket can be used to wrap the patient in to keep warm. Also a burn sheet can be placed directly on the burns, so if the patient is burnt head to toe you can just wrap in the sheet instead of trying to wrap the body with gauze.

Cold packs aren't necessary as a patient with burns is more likely to be hypothermic.
    Last edited by dvdmacdaddy; 01-03-12 at 08:21.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~ George Washington

”The right of the people to keep and bear…arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country…” ~ James Madison

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmacdaddy View Post
    I have seen what it is like when a burn patient arrives in the burn center and when they clean off the gels/ointments/etc that has been placed on the burn it takes twice as long to clean and is very very very very painful.
    I worked in a burn center and you should see what we do in the days and weeks after they arrive! The cleaning and debridement is a never-ending process, and is quite painful.

This is a good thread, and my two cents is that in a pre-hospital arena "sterile" sheets really need not be sterile, but any sheet as long it does the job and is warm, and do not irrigate burns unless they are relatively small as burn patients get hypothermic very quickly (exception is chemical burns, you gotta get the chemicals off).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So based on the inputs provided I think this will be my major burn kit:

2 x rolls Kerlix AMD
    4 x 30mL SalJet Rinse
    2 x Burn Sheet
    1 x Mylar Blanket
    8 x Safety Pins, 4 large and 4 small

My med kit would already have scissors, tape, and coban so I didn't include in list. Kit would most likely be in a Ziploc or vacuum sealed for grab and go ease. I will be adding some Lidocaine wipes to my first aid kit for small burns that can be handled with 4x4 and most likely no trip to the ER.

What you guys think?
    Glock 22
    Beretta TX4

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFGuy1227 View Post
    So based on the inputs provided I think this will be my major burn kit:

2 x rolls Kerlix AMD
    4 x 30mL SalJet Rinse
    2 x Burn Sheet
    1 x Mylar Blanket
    8 x Safety Pins, 4 large and 4 small

My med kit would already have scissors, tape, and coban so I didn't include in list. Kit would most likely be in a Ziploc or vacuum sealed for grab and go ease. I will be adding some Lidocaine wipes to my first aid kit for small burns that can be handled with 4x4 and most likely no trip to the ER.

What you guys think?
    If you want the burn sheet, go with the burn sheet, but once it's open it is inherently unsterile. Also think about replacing them when the sterility goes out of date. Also, just because a burn is small don't think it isn't serious. Technically, any burn to the hand and foot should be referred to a burn center (but as many stupid burns as I have had on my hand being stupid I have never been to a burn center as a patient and I turned out OK).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    If you want the burn sheet, go with the burn sheet, but once it's open it is inherently unsterile. Also think about replacing them when the sterility goes out of date. Also, just because a burn is small don't think it isn't serious. Technically, any burn to the hand and foot should be referred to a burn center (but as many stupid burns as I have had on my hand being stupid I have never been to a burn center as a patient and I turned out OK).
    I would use the burn sheet just for the fact that I get them relatively cheap and they are prepackaged in a compact manor. I'm not that worried about them being sterile just b/c the date has passed and besides you mentioned a couple post back that sterile or not didn't matter. I include 2 burn sheets and a mylar blanket b/c I live in Interior AK and it can get -50 in winter; sheet under, sheet over, then mylar blanket hope we don't all freeze to death before Fire Rescue shows up. Not trying to pick a fight just explaining my choices and why.
    Glock 22
    Beretta TX4

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFGuy1227 View Post
    Not trying to pick a fight just explaining my choices and why.
    No worries, and where you live it's a valid point to layer. Hypothermia kills trauma patients quickly, moreso for burn patients. Let's hope you never have to use the stuff...I worked in a burn center and burns still give me the heebie-jeebies.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've never seen a burn first hand, hope not to ever, but I've seen the after affects of a guy that got burnt by an electrical arc when a secondary distribution cabinet blew. Guy was lucky that he was wearing the appropriate PPE or it probably would've been a lot worse.
    Glock 22
    Beretta TX4

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast