Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: "That Guy" in EFR class

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    We covered childbirth today.

Guess who drives around with an OB kit in his trunk?
    That just made me laugh.

About "that guy". We had one in academy. Big secret squirrel in the military bullshit can't tell us cause its classified beyond top secret........

He actually argued with an academy instructor and instead of heeding the road signs of impending collision he just kept on going with his mouth. The instructor turned off the professionalism finally and said "Hey! Shut the **** up and stick your thumb in your mouth until I tell you otherwise you giant baby! That, or get out of my class and turn your shit in". Classic. Embarrassment and shame fixed what ailed him.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Regarding original situation:

This guy sounds like a typical blow hard. I teach at a university level (adjunct) and see this all the time, at least one per class. I tend to try and knock them down a peg without putting myself in any sort of situation that may result in me being reprimanded....

I am going to admit I have not been re-certified in several years, but if I was teaching this class my first question to this guy would be:

"Why didn't you ask me if I was capable of spitting the gum out, prior to sticking your fingers in my mouth?" If this didn't knock him down, then off to the corner...

Let's hope this guy has grown a little bit. I wouldn't want him to be my first responder, or the people I love in my life who have seizures. I don't want to have to dig this guys thumb out of their mouths...

ToddG Guest
    I had my annual CAT scan at Hopkins yesterday and told my doc about this. He was flabbergasted that Indy wasn't ejected from the class. This is the same guy whose wife's aorta burst while they were at the dinner table two years ago and he was able to save her. Great doc.

As for the gum thing, the instructor was asked to spit it out and acted like she didn't hear or was ignoring the request. My guess is she was waiting for someone to coax her politely and when Indy said he was going to reach inside ... that's when things took an unlikely and bloody turn.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Really...

Considering that the victim is conscious creating a comfortable dialogue would be the first step. A finger sweep would be the absolute last step. This guy is going to either hurt someone, or get himself hurt.

Feedback Score
    I am taking an EMT-B course right now and I swear their is a PT test that requires that you field dress at at least 300 lbs...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FFK View Post
    I am taking an EMT-B course right now and I swear their is a PT test that requires that you field dress at at least 300 lbs...
    Dammit, why did I just get a mental image of a fat Indiana Jones hanging from his ankles in the woods, with his skin flayed from the body and guts laying on the forest floor...

Hope I don't have to go through that in my EMT-B class this winter.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    We covered childbirth today.

Guess who drives around with an OB kit in his trunk?
    Probably the only way he'll ever get to see a vagina.
    Last edited by benthughes; 08-04-09 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    Many years ago I was a dispatcher for a volunteer ambulance group. My mom was a politician and helped sponsor it and got it funded and equipped. Everyone was unpaid...but got their jollies helping others, or so they said. The group of EMTs went off the deep end volunteering more and more hours a week until it became rediculous. One husband and wife were practically living in the ready room, both pulling in excess of 80 hours a week - while one of them was drawing a disability income. It was bananas, and I had to get the hell out of there to keep my sanity or I was the one who was going to have a "brown 500". One of the EMTs was so gung ho that she ran for state office and won, and wound up being asked to oversee that state's Bureau of Prisons to get the nutcase out of the State Senate (that state shall remain nameless, and it isn't NC).

Seriously, I'm surprised your local chapter put up with this guy. He needs a talk with a local law enforcement professional to make him aware of his liabilities in "helping" people, be it civil or criminal. Either that, or suggest he locate his local volunteer ambulance corps...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Telecomtodd View Post
    One husband and wife were practically living in the ready room, both pulling in excess of 80 hours a week - while one of them was drawing a disability income.
    Isn't it interesting how many members of volunteer agencies draw an income for partial or total disabilities?

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, if you are planning on a career as an EMT you will come across many of these kind of people. They are obsessed with trying to impress people with their EMS knowledge and their imagined importance. They usually piss enough people off and tone themselves down or they will screw-up and get fired. You just can't have that kind of self-important loose cannon in EMS. I have been a paramedic for about 17 years and I've seen them come and I've seen them go

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast