Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do they rate?

Feedback Score

How do they rate?

I'm starting to gather information to start my first AR build. One thing I'm not clear on are the relative differences between different component manufacturers. I know I can look at price as one indicator, but that doesn't always tell the story. So I'm asking you guys!

Here's the scale:
    1 - Poor
    2 - Below average
    3 - Average
    4 - Above average
    5 - Excellent

I'd like any feedback you want to offer on how you think - generally - these manufacturers stand:

- Rock River Arms
    - Bushmaster
    - Vltor
    - DPMS
    - CMT

I'm looking primarily at their components but I'll assume that complete rifles will be of the same relative quality. I'd appreciate your input on any or all -- and feel free to include any major suppliers I've overlooked.

I don't want to turn this into a bash session - I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should expect if I order an RRA lower vs. a Bushmaster.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Jim
    Stag AR-15 2T, Saiga 7.62x39 AK, Saiga S12 Tactical Shotgun
    Beretta 92G Vertec - M9 - PX4 Storm - 92 Billennium - CX4 Storm 9mm
    CZ SP-01 Tactical - M&P 9 - M&P 9C - Ruger KP93 Colt M1911 - RIA 5" 1911- Kel Tec P-32
    http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/index.html

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    - Rock River Arms (4) Decent rifles and parts for the most part but their complete rifles aren't assembled correctly (bad staking on carrier keys, Loc-Tited receiver extensions, raw aluminum feed ramps on upper receivers.

- Bushmaster (3) Decent rifles assembled okay (but sometimes bad staking on carrier keys), I don't recommend their bolts or bolt carriers, nor stocks. Finish usually don't match (uppers to lowers).

- Vltor (5) Excellent everything!

- DPMS (3) Average, some parts are okay some suck bad.

- CMT (5) Excellent everything!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    CMT is clearly the pick of the this litter. They provide parts to some of the others on your list as well as other manufacturers.
    The Second Amendment is Homeland Security

Remember New Orleans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4

- CMT (5) Excellent everything!
    What about the staking of the carrier keys?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    These are my opinions based on my experience.

Rock River Arms - (4) - I've had nothing but good luck with RRA stuff but I've never owned a complete carbine. All the parts I've used; BCGs, LPKs, lowers, buttstocks, furniture, etc have been great. If I wanted a complete RRA (and I do) I'd have Steve at ADCO build the upper for me.

Bushmaster - (3) - While I've had good luck with all things Bushmaster their loose gas keys and canted front sights are infamous. But I have several Bushy lowers, barrels and other assorted parts in the safe and all have been good to go.

Vltor - (5) - Everything I have or have seen from them has been the cat's meow.

DPMS - (2) - I've used some DPMS stuff and have had great luck with it. But their bolts breaking and their excessively tight chambers are stuff of legends.

CMT - (5) - When I need a LPK, buttstock, upper, BCG or whatever these days my first call goes out to Bravo Company or G&R for CMT stuff. I use it almost exclusively now for all my builds. Great stuff!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Only two of those companies make AR's (technically) and would pass on both of them. If you like CMT and want to get a lot of the components in an AR, buy a Stag. The maine issue with Stag's is that the carrier key is not properly staked. This can easily be fixed.

VLTOR makes some of the VERY best AR parts on the planet!

C4

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dport
    What about the staking of the carrier keys?
    No reason not to buy CMT. More than Likely I'm building Jims AR (Navy87Guy)
    My MOACKS fixes CMT carrier keys in less than 2 minutes.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    GotM4 just reminded me that I need to buy a MOACKS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4
    No reason not to buy CMT. More than Likely I'm building Jims AR (Navy87Guy)
    My MOACKS fixes CMT carrier keys in less than 2 minutes.
    Well if things go right, Robb will help me build my AR -- and get my butt out of trouble if I screw up!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm just trying to get my arms around all the differences and the experiences from you seasoned AR folks. I'd rather learn from your mistakes!

Jim
    Stag AR-15 2T, Saiga 7.62x39 AK, Saiga S12 Tactical Shotgun
    Beretta 92G Vertec - M9 - PX4 Storm - 92 Billennium - CX4 Storm 9mm
    CZ SP-01 Tactical - M&P 9 - M&P 9C - Ruger KP93 Colt M1911 - RIA 5" 1911- Kel Tec P-32
    http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/index.html

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy87Guy
    Well if things go right, Robb will help me build my AR -- and get my butt out of trouble if I screw up!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm just trying to get my arms around all the differences and the experiences from you seasoned AR folks. I'd rather learn from your mistakes!

Jim
    It is a VERY good idea to let Robb help you out.

C4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast