Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New "lightweight" build in-the-works!!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

New "lightweight" build in-the-works!!!

Still waiting on the LaRue low-profile gas block (should be here Weds), but so far, here is what I am working with:

*Bushmaster "Superlight" .625 barrel assembly

*Rainier Arms flattop M4 upper receiver

*Daniel Defense 10.0 Lite rail

*LaRue Low-pro gas block

*Denny's Guns M16 BCG assembly

It will also be set-up with my Aimpoint T-1 Micro in a LaRue mount, a Larue BUIS & Troy front flip-up sight, Surefire X300 weaponlight, and a LaRue F.U.G. vertical grip.

Still undecided on which muzzle device I am going with on this one.

I will post some pics when I get it all assembled....
    Last edited by nickdrak; 07-01-09 at 22:09.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    ***UPDATE***

While installing the Troy TRX Extreme rail last night, I managed to butcher the proprietary Troy barrel nut that came with the rail. For those thinking of running this new Troy rail system, be very carful when installing the barrel nut. *DO NOT* attempt to over-torque the barrel nut.

I attempted to use 40 ft/lbs on in, and that was enough to shear the lugs/teeth off of the barrel nut. Use 30lbs MAX on it!!! I called Troy this morning, and I was told that they have had this occur several times since releasing the new system. They are going to replace it for me, so kudos to Troy for standing behind their product, even when the failure is caused by installer error.

I was also told that they are considering a redisign of the barrel nut to remedy this, and that it could be a couple of weeks or longer before I receive my replacement barrel nut/rail system due to the possibility of a redesign, soooo.....

I decided to order a Daniel Defense 10.0 Lite rail from Bravo Co: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Danie.../dd%202007.htm

Can anyone here confirm that I will be able to run the LaRue Lo-profile (.625) gasblock that I purchased in-conjunction with the Daniel Defense rail??? Thanks in advance!!!

Hopefully I can get this thing together by the end of this week, so I can take it out and shoot it while I am still on vacation....

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a fantastic build! Id really like to do a super light upper some time, I know the wife would thank me for it aswell. I was just thinkinking about the 13" TRX for my franken build middy. Hopefully they get it all sorted here soon.
    -Jesse

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I dont really think there is a "problem" with the new TRX Extreme rails, so much as they should simply amend their instructions to specify the max torque for the proprietary barrel nut. This would probably go a long way in keeping bubble-heads like myself from screwing up the install.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 06-23-09 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here's the finished product:

I hope to get out to the range early next week to get it zeroed. I will let you guys know how it performs....
    Last edited by nickdrak; 07-01-09 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    That's very nice. I bet it is a light set up. You probably can make it a hair lighter if you use the 7.0 DD Lite. I had a similar set up using the 7.0 lite rail, it felt like a feather. Let us know how it shoots.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    where'd you get the barrel?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    where'd you get the barrel?
    GDS Enterprises in Austin, TX. I believe I got the last one a couple of weeks ago. He said he waited 7 months on his last shipment of "Superlight" barrels from BM.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 07-01-09 at 13:21.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    GDS Enterprises in Austin, TX. I believe I got the last one a couple of weeks ago. He said he waited 7 months on his last shipment of "Superlight" barrels from BM.
    what'd you pay with him, if you dont mind my asking? this was your 666th post, by the way.

Feedback Score
    Why the fixed rear sight and folding front?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast