Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AAR – Long Range International – DMR - #01/09 (Pics)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Your MRP would be perfectly adequate for the DMR class. You don't need a thousand-yard rifle for that. The optic is a bigger issue than the rifle but one guy (my spotter) used an AR/EOTech and was making good hits at 600 with some spotting.

If you're looking for the Precision Rifle class I believe they have loaner rifles for you to use. I actually think I'm going to hold of on getting a bolt gun until after I take PR1 just so I can learn what I want and don't want in a precision rifle.

With the caveat of having no experience on the 6.8, With a ranging ACOG I don't see why they can't get you out to 600 yards pretty easily.

Thank you for your input! Sounds like I will need new glass, I don't think my Leupold Mark IV CQ/T will cut it... I was going to wait until the LaRue was built, but this will give me a good reason to upgrade early.

Sounds like a class not to be missed. The "range" alone speaks for itself... I hope the dog is there for the class.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    I don't think my Leupold Mark IV CQ/T will cut it... I was going to wait until the LaRue was built, but this will give me a good reason to upgrade early.
    You could definitely take the class and have your Leupold work. It might be imperfect but it will work.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 06-27-09 at 19:13.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    The DMR course is pretty forgiving for set ups. Since the DMR is generally a gussied up battle rifle, we can teach you the techniques with a box stock carbine with a cheap fixed power optic lashed to it if need be. You may come to appreciate more refined and deliberate weapon systems, but the training is designed to maximize what you have.

Fundamentals carry over between types and styles of weapon systems with only modification for control types and locations. Training is designed to work on you as the shooter. If you want to learn how to work on your weapon system, well that is a different course

Keep in mind that for demonstration purposes, as well as keeping the training areas safe from the varmint-cong, myself and hill simply threw whatever scopes we had handy onto our carbines.

Good glass goes a long way, but for a DMR almost any glass is a huge advantage over a non magnifying sight. A scope like the CQ/T has plenty going on in the reticle to establish hold overs for range, and clear enough glass to keep things running.

Though an accurate BDC is a boon, keep in mind that differences in barrel length, gas port diameter, gas system type, twist rate, as well as innumerable factors having to do with loads can affect how accurate they are, without even addressing environmental factors.

Since the DMR is intended as a faster moving, more dynamic weapon system than a precision rifle, we try and keep our noses out of our data books. However, we do take the time to confirm dopes at known distances, so we can find out how much, and how far (or, what the hold overs are, and what the maximum point target range of my weapon/optic/ammo combination is).

Hopefully we will be able to fill up some more DMR courses in the future. We had as much fun teaching the courses as the students did taking them, and maybe more.

On behalf of all the LRI instructors, a big thanks the the students in attendance at the DMR course. It was great having you guys out, and we look forward to seeing you again.
    Both the sport and the practical application of shooting is advanced by the motivation and passion of shooters who constantly seek to improve their knowledge and skill, and its our pleasure to share our knowledge and learn from the experiences of students like you.

Thanks!
    You can't miss fast enough to win...
    ...But you can hit slow enough to lose.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123