Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Times change, do you?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Of course Rob holds his gun "more correctly" so I guess that is what is really important.
    I've wanted to post a pic of myself holding my precision bolt gun with the match homo technique to illustrate the absurdity of it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post

I'm don't care about the methods, as long as you can apply them efficiently.

I'd rather fight next to a guy using the old ''teacup'' grip who shoots 15,000 rounds a year, than a guy who ran a Magpul glass and preaches it to the book and knows it by heart but only shoots 500 rounds a year.
    I understand what you're trying to say but this is a bad example. You can practice something with shitty technique and it won't make you that much better no matter how many rounds you send downrange. Think quality over just quantity. 15,000 rounds of "cup and saucer" shooting will lead to slower split times and shittier groups than what the same person could achieve with a better grip and better training even if it is less total rounds downrange.

We always said "practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."

I've also shot with guys that were using good technique and shot thousands of rounds a year, but they just were not that great of shooters. I know other guys that don't shoot very often but can pick up a gun and spank everybody because they have all the fundementals down and can apply them correctly.

Back to the OP:
    I used to hold an M4 by the magwell. Now I can't stand to hold it that way. I like getting my support hand out as far as possible. The funny thing is that I was taught to hold the support hand forward as early as 1995 by John Shaw. I just didn't like doing it at the time. Now i find that I can shoot faster and more accurately with my support hand out further.
    Last edited by sniperfrog; 12-28-11 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    Everything I learned in BCT AIT at Ft Benning back in 83' is now just about turned upside down. I am relearning the AR.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I had a spark after sifting through numerous old posts on a recent topic here. It really dawned on me how fast things can change, either to an individual or as collective/institutional knowledge.

I forgot that it was only a few years ago that I was using three-point slings, VFGs almost touching the mag-well, 12 HK magazines stuck to my armor, and a white-light mounted at 6 o'clock. All while knowing that I was on top of the whole business. I had gone to some dangerous places and prevailed in bad circumstances. I was a good shooter and trusted instructor. I had learned from some of the best around. But that doesn't change the fact that techniques, items, and skills evolved away from what I was doing/using then.

Not all things have drastically changed, some of it is pretty subtle, such as my grip on a pistol, or shoulder transitions and how I have my sling set-up. In fact, I would say that most skills have simply been tweaked and honed, not completely revised. Some of the big things are with gear. Things that we thought were great turned out to be mediocre (HK mags) and some things that were under-stated turned into the killer app (Aimpoint Micro).

Maybe I am just lucky in that I am exposed to a lot of different people, organizations, and nations. Maybe I am just lucky in that I have a job that lets me play with guns and shoot a lot to develop and hone technique and skill. While I think that those are aspects that have enabled the process I would have to say that the single thing that I has most promoted progress is willingness. I am willing to listen to what others have to say, see what they do, and try it.

One nice thing is that I have a steady supply of students to experiment with little tweaks and watch how they perform, with a database for comparison.

I have also gained a tremendous amount of information as far as civilian spec AR platfroms (and FALs ) go. I didn't know until about three years ago how very different they are from the guns in our armories. Hell, I can even remember a time I recommended that a buddy get a DPMS because, "ARs are ARs, and parts is parts!" Wow. How much we have learned, how far we have come.

So how are the rest of you doing? Where have you trained? What have you learned? What have you changed? How has your knowledge changed your gear or your interaction with it? What are your goals and how do you intend on reaching them and setting new goals?

it's been a few more years since the OP. i'd like to hear what you've changed lately.

personally, i'm stuck in 2-point sling land, hating it, thinking there has to be a better way. my carbine handling has been influenced heavily (and in unexpected ways) by all the time spent on precision/sniper matches. and my practice in the past two years has been 80% after dark. i've also switched from suppressed 6 yrs ago to brakes 3 yrs ago and now back to suppressed. and from 18" to 10" bbls.

Feedback Score
    I cut my guns to 4, an alloy 9mm commander for practice and it's the wife's CCW gun. A Sig P938, in my front pants pocket holster, A 10.5" AR and a .22 that will remain vague. If it's ever time for the rifle, I'm staying underground during daylight hours. That's much safer and more practical than any long range bs. If people are unaware of my presence, I"ll be happy to leave things that way. If the are aware of me, they wont be holding still, fully-exposed in daylight anyway. If they are attacking me, I'm not wasting any of my ammo by firing at dodging men beyond 300m and very little of it beyond 200m. I want to have plenty of ammo left for when the maximum amount of effective fire is likely to occur and be needed, which is well inside of 100m mostly inside of 50m. That's where several hits per second can be had and that's what's most likely to make the attackers break and run. I dont need a lot of practice to be able to do such things with a suppressed rifle in daylight. I've needed a pistol half a dozen times, and i've never once needed the rifle. So my training reflects that reality. 5m cover using heads are at least as hard to hit as 15m fully exposed torsos. That's extremely long range when you'r being shot-at and all you have is a pistol.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    tellum - you can stop with the necroposts.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910