Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
Sometimes I think I would be better off just choosing a system and training exclusively with that instructor/school.
There's good and bad in that.

I tell students all the time, go take classes elsewhere. As long as you know what you're doing and you're confident, it's never a bad thing to get exposed to different viewpoints. Try it, assess it, decide, move on. If you know three ways to hold a pistol, use the one that gives you the best results today. Six months from now if you feel you've hit a plateau, look back at some of the things you discarded. Will any of them help you past that plateau? You might already know a "better way" ...

On the other hand, if you go to three different schools that teach three radically divergent approaches to things, you're killing yourself. You can't practice Weaver for a month, then Iso for a month, then CAR for a month, and expect to have a grasp of any of it.

The most important thing, not to sound cliche, is don't sweat the small stuff. If Instructor-A tells you to stand completely square to the target and Instructor-B tells you to blade off 10 degrees, just do whatever feels/works best. If the instructor is absolutely unrelenting and insistent, do it his way during class and then, if you feel it's necessary, switch back. But consider not going back to an instructor who absolutely insists you do something in a way you know won't work for you.