Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on the SLR-106?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronFitz View Post
    For what it's worth, the lady on the phone at Arsenal said that the serial numbers aren't necessarily sequential, but a quick look at the pics in that TOS thread will tell you pretty quickly if you need feed ramp work or not. Mine definitely looked like the "before" picture. Now it looks like the "after" picture, and runs like a raped ape.
    Good to know, thanks.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Well, Templar's SLR-106 2.0 thread has pushed me over the edge to sell my Mini-14 and replace it with a 106FR.

Problem is, it seems like all the 106FRs are out of stock. Is Arsenal still making them?
    Good judgment comes from experience. And experience… well, that comes from poor judgment.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Might want to call Atlantic Firearms and see if they have them in stock.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct836.aspx
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Thanks Templar!

Called Atlantic Firearms today and the gentleman on the phone said he has no SLR rifles and probably won't receive any until May.
    Good judgment comes from experience. And experience… well, that comes from poor judgment.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I am in the market for a SLR-106 myself, and Atlantic said they were out until at least August. Does anyone else know who might have one in stock?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I want a .223 AK and have about an $800 target budget. My research has narrowed it down to the SLR-106 or a Galil (or Golani). I am hesitant to roll the dice on a Century-built rifle, but read that the Galil is the best .223 variant for the AK platform. However, when Templar says the SLR is his favorite AK, that seems to be a strong endorsement. Any comments on the matter would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62WildBill View Post
    I want a .223 AK and have about an $800 target budget. My research has narrowed it down to the SLR-106 or a Galil (or Golani). I am hesitant to roll the dice on a Century-built rifle, but read that the Galil is the best .223 variant for the AK platform. However, when Templar says the SLR is his favorite AK, that seems to be a strong endorsement. Any comments on the matter would be appreciated.
    Century Golanis are NOT IMI Galils....they are craptastical carbines built with sub par out of spec US receiver and barrels, with the guts being from Guatemalan surplus rode hard and put up wet Galils.

With your budget, I'd look at getting a SAIGA and converting as you acquire parts and money.

It's also possible to luck into a lightly used SLR-106, they are out there. Have your shekels ready when you see one.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62WildBill View Post
    There is no comparing a Galil or a US made variant of that rifle to a Bulgarian SLR. The SLR is by far worth whatever hassle it may be to find one.

Having used both the Galil (the real deal) and the SLR-106, I can assure you that the Bulgarian rifle is by far the better choice...

Also, I for sure wouldn't get the "Golani" from Century... They are the bottom of the barrel....

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I scooped up my SLR-106 for ~$750-800 (don't remember exactly). It had sat on consignment for a while, and the seller had dropped the asking price for it, a case, and 4 mags from about $1200.

A SAM-5 with milled receiver would be another excellent choice from Arsenal, if a little heavier than the stamped guns.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    The galil might be nice, but it's heavier than a stamped receiver AK.

I would not bother with a century-made rifle unless I were planning on spending a lot of time and some additional money working on the thing myself or sending to a good smith to sort out.

I recommend the SLR-106 or a 5.56 saiga conversion.

From a brief look around the net, it looks like converting a 5.56 Saiga may be your only option at the moment, as I don't see any SLR-106s available.

You have many options if you decide to convert a saiga, the cheapest of which would involve some DIY work and a pistol grip and buttstock of your choice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast