Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What is a good entry level M4 style carbine?

Feedback Score
    I don't know where you guys shop and I don't understand why JT Distributing doesn't get more press, but you can build a very nice entry JT M4 clone for around $700. Their M4 non-chrome lined uppers complete are roughly $450, and their Double Star lowers are about $125. All their stuff is top notch and CS is really great. How do I know, I sell their kits at the shows. I'm not a full time builder, but I've smithed enough to see their quality.

I'd put a JT up against any of the big boys any time, and that ain't marketing hype either.

In fact I know where there is an M4 non-chrome lined for sale at a shop for around $750.

I can elaborate on the parts if asked, but suffice it to say there are several builders that use the JT as their supplier.

Mitch

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNRonin
    I don't know where you guys shop and I don't understand why JT Distributing doesn't get more press, but you can build a very nice entry JT M4 clone for around $700. Their M4 non-chrome lined uppers complete are roughly $450, and their Double Star lowers are about $125. All their stuff is top notch and CS is really great. How do I know, I sell their kits at the shows. I'm not a full time builder, but I've smithed enough to see their quality.

I'd put a JT up against any of the big boys any time, and that ain't marketing hype either.

In fact I know where there is an M4 non-chrome lined for sale at a shop for around $750.

I can elaborate on the parts if asked, but suffice it to say there are several builders that use the JT as their supplier.

Mitch

Their kits are just OK IMHO (from what I have seen). This was some time ago though (maybe they changed). Please list where their barrels, bolts and receivers come from. This will give a better idea on whether they are quality or not.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    Their kits are just OK IMHO (from what I have seen). This was some time ago though (maybe they changed). Please list where their barrels, bolts and receivers come from. This will give a better idea on whether they are quality or not.

C4
    I answered this in another thread, but I'll do it again.

I've been building them for quite a while and seen quite a sample size.

bbls: Shaw
    BCG: Colt supplier
    Receivers: the come from Conn

Again, they supply a lot of builders that are prestige builders.

Exactly how many kits have you seen and in what config?

They build the bling bling stuff just like everyone else. They use the EXACT same parts other builders use for HG, BS, etc.. they just don't charge and arm and leg.

I dare you to compare prices part for part. I don't think they are buying seconds from these vendors and selling them as firsts. LOL

ETA: and I'm still waiting on a response to that IM and email I sent regarding the return of that item.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNRonin
    I answered this in another thread, but I'll do it again.

I've been building them for quite a while and seen quite a sample size.

bbls: Shaw
    BCG: Colt supplier
    Receivers: the come from Conn

Again, they supply a lot of builders that are prestige builders.

Exactly how many kits have you seen and in what config?

They build the bling bling stuff just like everyone else. They use the EXACT same parts other builders use for HG, BS, etc.. they just don't charge and arm and leg.

I dare you to compare prices part for part. I don't think they are buying seconds from these vendors and selling them as firsts. LOL

ETA: and I'm still waiting on a response to that IM and email I sent regarding the return of that item.
    Ok, so we have a Stag at best with a non chromed lined barrel.

I build upper "kits" as well for around $465. Here are the specs:

16" M4 profile barrel, 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, 5.56 Nato Chamber, Chrome Lined
    CMT M4 receiver
    M4 HG
    CMT CH
    A2 FS
    F marked FSB
    LMT or FN contracted BCG

I have only seen a couple of the J&T kits and they were just OK at best IMHO. If people want a 1/9 twist upper, they are most likely better off with a Stag or RRA upper (which go for around $450).

Haven't check PM's yet (sorry).

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 02-02-07 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    Ok, so we have a Stag at best with a non chromed lined barrel.

I build upper "kits" as well for around $465. Here are the specs:

16" M4 profile barrel, 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, 5.56 Nato Chamber, Chrome Lined
    CMT M4 receiver
    M4 HG
    CMT CH
    A2 FS
    F marked FSB
    LMT or FN contracted BCG

I have only seen a couple of the J&T kits and they were just OK at best IMHO. If people want a 1/9 twist upper, they are most likely better off with a Stag or RRA upper (which go for around $450).

Haven't check PM's yet (sorry).

C4
    OK, so what's the "F" marked FSB?

I ordered one of these uppers from you a week ago.

What rear sight have you had good luck with mounting on a flat top?

I'm going to get some kind of 2X optic for it and not sure what one yet so the iron sights will simply be a back up.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Drag
    OK, so what's the "F" marked FSB?

I ordered one of these uppers from you a week ago.

What rear sight have you had good luck with mounting on a flat top?

I'm going to get some kind of 2X optic for it and not sure what one yet so the iron sights will simply be a back up.
    The F front sight base is the 'correct' height front sight base when using a flat top upper. With the F FSB you won't have the issue of the front sight post nearly falling out to zero it.

Rear sights that work well with flat tops are LMT, Larue, Troy, KAC, ARMS, RRA Dominator, RRA stand alone, DPMS, GG&G, etc. as long as you're using the correct FSB (F marked when using a flat top).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4
    The F front sight base is the 'correct' height front sight base when using a flat top upper. With the F FSB you won't have the issue of the front sight post nearly falling out to zero it.

Rear sights that work well with flat tops are LMT, Larue, Troy, KAC, ARMS, RRA Dominator, RRA stand alone, DPMS, GG&G, etc. as long as you're using the correct FSB (F marked when using a flat top).
    Thanks. I take these are taller than the standard units then?

And thanks for the info on the rear sights too!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Drag
    Thanks. I take these are taller than the standard units then?

And thanks for the info on the rear sights too!
    There just made to work w/F FSBs, the rear sights are made correctly. It's the non F FSBs that aren't correct. If you use a non-F FSB you'll need the taller front sight post (Bushmaster sells that's .030" taller).

I copied these pics from TOS. But they show the difference in the FSBs. F FSBs on the left side.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the explanation.

This whole flat top with optics new fangled thing...........

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345