Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Bars?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Energy Bars?

I currently typically keep granola bars and mixed nuts in the car, and will often snack on those just before an evening match or drills since I'm skipping dinner. Since I'm usually also dragging ass, I'll chase 'em with a Coke or whatever to get a little boost (not much of a soda drinker, so don't bust my balls on that! )

Occurs to me that maybe an "energy bar" of some sort would be a better solution? I don't really care about the ingredients in terms of things like if it has caffeine or "toxins" or whatever, but I can't do aspertame and the like.

Any thoughts on energy bars as a whole, and maybe some specific recommendations?

Feedback Score
    If you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods close to you, check out Organic Food Bars and Think Organic Bars. No artificial ingredients, natural sugars (cane sugars, etc no HFCS) so you won't crash, and a good ration of protein which is important for a meal replacement. They taste pretty darn good too. These are the best bars around IMHO and I've tried several.

I'm a firm believer in eating every 2-3 hours, and based on my fitness regimen I need to consume enough protein to prevent from going catabolic. I also try to limit my intake of added sugars and High Fructose Corn Syrup and other processed ingredients that a lot of other so-called protein/energy bars are loaded with. Read the labels and you'll be surprised. These two bars meet my requirements very well and I recommend them.
    Last edited by ballistic; 07-02-09 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Also take a look at Clif bars. They're balanced nutritionally and actually taste really good.

Feedback Score
    If you or yours are DIYers, you might try these: Food Network - Alton Brown - Protein Bars

The emphasis is on protein with a balance of carbohydrate which I find minimizes the peaks and valleys of perceived energy level.
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I recently had some made by Kashi and they were really good. They had one Oreo cookie one, an oatmeal & raisin one, a chocolate chip with toffee, and a some kind of peanut butter one.

I don't know how good they are for you, but they tasted great.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like the Bear Valley Pemmican bars.

http://www.mealpack.com/
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i eat an assload of Powerbar "Harvest" bars. chocolate on chocolate is the best, in my opinion- usually washed down with a Rockstar energy drink (which i'm jonesing for as we speak)- but they come in a number of different flavors. the Harvest bars are good 'cause they've got rice and oats and other shit in 'em to add flavor and texture... i cannot eat a regular powerbar.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In terms of calories from sugar and the usual list of ingredients most "energy bars" aren't that much different than a Snickers or a Payday bar except they don't taste near as good and cost four times as much. Throw a few paydays in your bag and save a fortune.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    paydays are a good option- more sugar and less protein, though. energy bars are also generally fortified with vitamines and minerals and shit, also.

i used to eat paydays before i found Rockstars and Harvest bars

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I currently typically keep granola bars and mixed nuts in the car, and will often snack on those just before an evening match or drills since I'm skipping dinner. Since I'm usually also dragging ass, I'll chase 'em with a Coke or whatever to get a little boost (not much of a soda drinker, so don't bust my balls on that! )

Occurs to me that maybe an "energy bar" of some sort would be a better solution? I don't really care about the ingredients in terms of things like if it has caffeine or "toxins" or whatever, but I can't do aspertame and the like.

Any thoughts on energy bars as a whole, and maybe some specific recommendations?
    Personally, I put them in the "better then nothing" category. They are generally glorified candy bars, but if you can't get some real food in you, better then nothing for sure.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast