Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Energy Bars?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

5 Hour energy drinks

Not really a bar or food, but any thoughts on a 5 Hour Energy Drink. Ive tried them a few times and objectively felt they worked well for the prescribed 5 hours.
    Low cal only one or two ounces.

Seems like they would work well in a high heat situation where your sweating out all your minerals quickly.

D Williams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    cliff bars rock. my day pack always has a bunch

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Since buying the Cliff bars I've eaten 2-3 a week while at work. No apparent ill effects in the stomach department so I'm pretty happy with them. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Indy View Post
    cliff bars rock. my day pack always has a bunch
    Not tried them yet, but just picked some up last night. Thanks..........
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score

Clif

Rob, you may grow weary of eating them eventually. I went on a Clif bar binge when I was into backpacking. It tasted good at the time, but I can't stand the stuff anymore. It's like particle board dipped in syrup.

Now I just try to plan my meals better. I always carry at least 3 servings of fruit to work. If you know you're having a match and you can't have dinner, why not just have a banana and whatever fruit that's in season to hold you over.

Feeding our bodies is the foundation of fitness. It does take planning and effort.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Cliff will eventually become something that's kept at work in a drawer to eat when I have to. Typically I do bring things to work with me in the morning. As you say, it does take planning, not just remembering to bring them but to get to the store and buy them even before that!

Trying to get the whole fam on a better eating/shopping/cooking cycle. They have really ****ed up my eating habits in the last couple of years with the lazy diet and garbage food they keep in the house.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Clif Bars are my favorite too. They're filling, not too sugary and they handle temperature extremes and rough handling pretty well - meaning they don't get melted or mashed flat like candy bars can. The other good thing is that there are lots of different flavors available, so everyone should be able to find at least a few that they like. Then you can have some variety and not get sick of eating the same exact bar over and over and over.

I stock up when they go on sale for $1 or less each. They seem to have a pretty good shelf life too.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    I do the Clif Bar/PowerBar/MetRx bar thing when I'm stuck at my desk and can't get real food. The main thing for me is to make sure whatever I'm getting has some protein. If protein is important to you, you might try beef jerky as well.

I also came up with a concoction one time that worked well -- it was oatmeal mixed with eggwhites and baked in the microwave until the eggwhites congealed. This was during one of my "strict diet" and "spend no money" periods.

It didn't taste bad but, honestly, by the time I was reaching for it I was usually too hungry to care about taste anyway.
    Last edited by Cruncher Block; 03-20-10 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Recipe as promised:

1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1-1/2 cups oat flour
    2 cups old fashioned oats

We are experimenting with adding applesauce and honey to make them a little sweeter and softer.

Things to add to suite your taste: cranberries, almonds, walnuts, peanuts, raisins, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds.

Cream the peanut butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, and baking soda. Slowly mix in the remaining ingredients.

Shape into a block and cut bars off of it.

Bake at 350 for 10-15 mins or until they are golden brown.

They have a long shelf life if you keep them in a ziploc bag, I have had some that I have eaten after they were a month old which were a little harder but tasted the same.
    any updates/mods to this?

I suspect when I cut them in blocks I can vacuum pack each one for some real longevity?

Even longer with those oxygen absorbers?
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast