Thread: Turnipseed Stance?

Feedback Score

Turnipseed Stance?

Anyone go this chap?

http://quickshoot.com/

Heard good things about it, apparently this guy teaches body index shooting.

Apparently he ran into three thugs in an alley, one of them advanced and he drew and fired in the darkness with amazing accuracy -- two died and the other is/was crippled for life. Doesn't talk about it much (I would understand). And that one guy a friend knows went to a bunch of pistol classes and couldn't hit for squat. After he went to this guy he could chop an index card widthwise from close range top - down rapid fire.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Indexing works very well at close ranges, though it's not really anything new and it's not just "body" position.

www.tacticalshooting.com. Full Disclosure: I am a student.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    WARNING- If you like this guy, this post will hurt your feelings.

This is a monumental waste of time and money.
    Kent came out to us to teach us his technique for free- I still felt like we overpayed.

We spent the first part of his course sitting on buckets, shooting at sticks at very close range.
    His grip and stance are weaverish in style and the "unbreakable" grip varys between fraudulent and irrelevant.
    His "night fire" was nothing more than putting on welder's goggles- I would have achieved more if we were told to close our eyes .
    By some strange reinterpretation of geometry he tried to equate shooting a sideways firring strip at 3 yards with hitting a human target at 200 yards with a pistol.
    The "undisarmable" retention technique is not at all unique or special.
    His accuracy standards and understanding of terminal ballistics are a joke.
    His attempts at creating a "combat mindset" by in-class threats are laughable.
    His long-gun stuff is not at all new, if you want to learn impressive shotgun technique there are much better options from actual professionals.

This is not a system that I beleve in or recommend to anyone that I would like to see survive a violent confrontation. Anyone that would use examples of top-level USPSA shooters as what NOT to do is ridiculous.

His background is NOT in gunfighting or competitive shooting. He is a retired firefighter that went out into the deset to shoot and came up with his system.

There are much better ways to spend your training dollars and ammunition. I sincerely recommend pretty much anybody over Mr Turnipseed. Anyone that finds anything in this course "better" than what they have done in the past would greatly benefit from real instruction from a real instructor in modern iso and fundamental marksmanship.

Kent is a nice guy and believes in what he is doing, but he is way out of his depth.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 07-07-09 at 06:44. Reason: last sentence
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Dean Caputo might be able to shed some light on Turnipseed's gunfighting ability from a shooting incident they were both involved in back in the early '90s. It probably won't be flattering. Several years ago, Dean Speir promised to repost the article he wrote about the event. Perhaps I should remind him.

Feedback Score
    Just read his website. Seems silly that body posture is somehow going to eliminate recoil. I think the people that his course helps must have had awful technique to begin with.
    Last edited by superman07; 07-07-09 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    I was planning on taking a beginning handgun combat course, heard his was a good start.

I can operate the manual controls and all of a pistol and understand the fundamentals, just need a proper launching pad

I wanted to ask before I dished out dough, thanks for the input.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I watched the videos on that sight and just thought, "what the hell is this?"