Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to buy a suppressor in 2023 (commercial side)

Feedback Score

How to buy a suppressor in 2023 (commercial side)

Not really looking for a NFA paper work issues- there seems to be a lot of resources on that.

I’m looking more for : I’m sitting at home and I want a suppressor. And…

Online versus Local store: A local store rarely has the exact gun I want, so I assume that they won’t have what I want. And how do you know what is in stock at local stores- I haven’t seen them usually listed on websites. I guess I’m lucky here in CO that there are a lot of dealers that sell them- but that is a lot of places to go looking for what I want. Is there ‘Bud’s guns’ of suppressors?
    What I want: I guess there are a lot of resources on first suppressor buys. I actually am looking for one for my MP5s, ARs (in 300, 556, and 7.62), a long range rifle one for 6.5C (but might as well get one rated for 300WIN), one for 9mm handgun, and one for 22lr (rifle shooting). Probably in that order. Probably get the first two now. I’m not a huge fan of one-for-all. I’ve never really done it with ARs- I build what I want and it stays that way.

On the which ones- I’ve tried to read reviews and watch videos, but I have to say, it is hard as crap to figure out what is what. I’m also not looking for the cheapest either. Where is the current best place to research them? I start watching vids and they are 5 years old, and sometimes you can’t even tell when an online article was written, and forum posts are usually not actual comparisions, just discussions about a single model.

I know some re-hash here, but I’ve never seen something about the buying/sourcing side because of the focus on paperwork.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I hate to recite a commercial, but Silencer Shop really does make it easy, or at least a lot easier than any other place I’ve seen.

Interestingly I did buy a new can last year from an LGS that was also a Silencer Shop affiliate dealer. So I was able to use their kiosk and what-not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ll throw another vote towards Silencer Shop. Did all the paperwork on my phone and went to one of their kiosks for my prints. I’ve also heard good things about Capital Armory as well. I think they have a similar system to SS.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I use Silencershop for the paperwork. Sometimes I order direct from the Mfgr or from a site that has it on sale. They send it to my “powered by Silencershop” SOT dealer. I pay a $20 transfer fee when I do that, which may vary but I think SS sets a maximum. Or maybe that only applies to their website, dunno. Anyway, it shows up, I get a call, click a few things on the internet, and then wait.

I’ve used Capitol Armory for SBRs, and am happy with that experience.

Feedback Score
    I feel your pain. Buying a can solely based on online research is tough. NFA Review Channel on YouTube has some good reviews and good sounds quality. Pew Science has a measuring and ranking protocol that some love, some hate. I found it to be one in a sea of data points to consider (I will say that of the cans I own, their performance does mimic the Pew Science ranking when compared to each other.)

I was and am extremely lucky in that my LGS is a Silencer Shop platinum shop and also has indoor ranges. And rentals. And employees who are more than happy to demo their personal cans for you. Even then, I didn't get my first can exactly right. While I still like it if I had it to do over again I would have bought something else. That first can I bought while sitting in the airport waiting for a flight using SilencerShop. When I got home I went to the shop and got my prints scanned digitally and away we go (I also had a passport photo on my phone which helped.) But it is that easy. Now I just either have my LGS get the can or I buy direct from SS and it ships to them.

Feedback Score
    I would get a flow through and just have it shipped to your preferred class 3 for the transfer. Huxwrx just released another one in their flow through lineup called the Venom.

If you have a preferred place that does class 3 transfers they do all the paperwork for you so its no more involved than normal gun purchase except for providing a passport photo, finger prints, and waiting a few months.

With the flow through you're not eating toxic gasses and it doesn't mess up the performance of the gun.
    Last edited by prepare; 09-28-23 at 19:36.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    FWIW, it seems like the SureFire RC3 is getting closer to release; I've seen alleged copies of the marketing fact sheet, and it claims to be a flowthrough design (claims of 60% reduction in backpressure) while maintaining the same size, weight, and attachment, which tracks given all the rumors.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the low-noise answers and relevant insights.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    FWIW, it seems like the SureFire RC3 is getting closer to release; I've seen alleged copies of the marketing fact sheet, and it claims to be a flowthrough design (claims of 60% reduction in backpressure) while maintaining the same size, weight, and attachment, which tracks given all the rumors.
    I’ve heard it’s going to be pricey though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    I’ve heard it’s going to be pricey though.

Saw street prices in the 1400 ish range.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast