Thread: Remington Marine Magnum

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Remington Marine Magnum

So my uncle bought this 870 Marine Magnum from this dude for $50...the gun had been fired 5 times...the guy bought it because of Y2K and put a pistol grip on.
    It was like brand new when I got it.

I'm not too big on the nickel plated finish...I like it on the inside of the receiver and the bolt but not everything else.
    Has anyone ever put a Cerakote type finish over a nickel plated gun or is it a big job?

Since I didn't pay a dime for it, spending a little on wont hurt me(thats what I keep telling myself)

Thanks for the info,
    Dave

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The nickel can and would need to be removed before putting another finish on it.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4
    The nickel can and would need to be removed before putting another finish on it.
    Like a chemical strip or a sand blast, do you think it would be possible to keep the nickel plating on the inside of the receiver? I really like how easily the weapon cleans up after shooting about 300 times(I clean it like once a year).
    So will it cost me extra to get the exterior stripped- or do companies like robar include it in the package?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Brass
    Like a chemical strip or a sand blast, do you think it would be possible to keep the nickel plating on the inside of the receiver? I really like how easily the weapon cleans up after shooting about 300 times(I clean it like once a year).
    So will it cost me extra to get the exterior stripped- or do companies like robar include it in the package?
    ROBAR would probably strip the entire thing and if you wanted in slick on the inside would probably suggest having it NP3'd inside. In my experience all places charge extra for stripping the nickel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have heard that the Cerakote is tougher than the robar poly-max stuff...what do you think?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have heard that the Cerakote is tougher than the robar poly-max stuff...what do you think?
    I've never tried Cerakote or Poly-Max.

Feedback Score
    I have no experience with the Robar. Cerakote on the other hand I have a growing experience with it. It is tough and slick, but much slicker than tough.

I did an upper then threw it in a box of 870 parts and left them under the back seat of my truck for a few months. Scientific

The Cerakote is still intact, except for over the brass deflector it has a good bit of scratching to the metal there. The rest of it looks like the day I did it. Will be able to give a full report on a CeraKoted 870 as soon as I get it done.

YOu might want to look at the potential for selling the Marine Mag, getting a police turn in and the sending to get the advanced style coat work done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell

YOu might want to look at the potential for selling the Marine Mag, getting a police turn in and the sending to get the advanced style coat work done.
    Can you elaborate on that for me?

Feedback Score
    Can you elaborate on that for me?
    I got the 870 I am using as a guinea pig from a gun shop that had several of them traded in by police. The gun was a bit rough looking, but worked well, but it was so cheap that I did not mind blasting it several times trying a couple different coatings.

The marine magnums I have seen for sail usually go for a premium and somebody might want the Rem Nickle coating for a trunk gun, beat about not caring it is shiny.

Hmm just thought as I was typing, anyone roughed the rem nickle finish then Kryloned it before?