Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kit Buildup - GSW Kit

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Could we work backwards on this ... Starting with a basic pre-made kit, what would you add?

e.g., Tac Med IFAK contains:

1 - SOF® Tactical Tourniquet
    1 - 4 inch Olaes® Bandage
    1 - Petrolatum Gauze
    1 - Nasopharyangeal airway 28F
    1 - Pair of Gloves, nitrile, Size: Extra large
    1 - 2 inch Tape, surgical
    1 - Laderal Face shield
    1 - Trauma shears
    1 - STAT Triage Card
    If you're talking about a basic kit for self aid in case of GSW, you probably don't need much more. I might add some 4x4s and Kerlix Gauze, maybe some combat gauze too for a hemostat.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 07-11-09 at 08:56.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    If you're talking about a basic kit for self aid in case of GSW, you probably don't need much more. I might add some 4x4s and Kerlix Gauze, maybe some combat gauze too for a hemostat.
    I want something relatively small & lightweight that I can keep attached to my range kit in the event someone (self or other) has a suddenly very bad day.

Would more Olaes bandages satisfy the need for 4x4s and Kerlix?

Do you recommend a particular combat gauze?

(and thanks!)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I want something relatively small & lightweight that I can keep attached to my range kit in the event someone (self or other) has a suddenly very bad day.
    Check, I think that's a pretty good start.

Would more Olaes bandages satisfy the need for 4x4s and Kerlix?
    It would certainly satisfy the need, though the 4x4s/kerlix might be a little more cost effective since they are packaged individually and can be used in a lot of general applications that don't necessarily require you to open the more expensive OLAES. If you're never going to open the kit except in case of GSW, than another OLAES bandage is fine, so long as you've got a more general first aid kit.

Do you recommend a particular combat gauze?(and thanks!)
    Combat Gauze is a trademark from QuikClot I believe, but others may make a similar product. Combat Gauze is currently what is being issued per a friend (ex-Corpsman, current PA with the 73CAV/82ABN). He swears by the stuff and the SOF-T Tourniquet.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 07-11-09 at 16:28.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

ToddG Guest
    Thanks, GSJ. Ordered most of it from TacMed and will pick up the easier stuff locally.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Personal kits

Hate to ask dumb questions, I'm stationed way out by myself in N/E Calif. I carry one tquet, one pack of quik clot, one sucking chest wound plate, one large bandage/gaze on me at all times." Lower Pockets"

I got this set up from my US Forestry Agent partners who spend a great deal of time chasing dope growers here in Northern California. I have an extensive kit in my rig and on my tac vest.

Should I be carrying something else on my person. I rarely work with others, and am away from EMS a fair amount of the time. EMS response time " If I can get them " Is about one hour average. I hate carrying crap I don't need.

DDW

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dirk, I am clearly not a medical professional, however many that I talk to would advocate carrying two of most of the things you list, especially as remote as you may find yourself. For example, if something were to happen to your leg, it may well happen to both, thus requiring two TQs. If you have a need for a chest seal, there's a good chance it's a through-and-through which may require two (I'm very interested in the Halo chest seal for this reason and a local medic friend is supposed to have one or two inbound for us to check out). If one QC doesn't work, you might need to pack it with another (assuming Combat Gauze here), etc. In the case of the trauma dressing there is a version of the Izzy with a sliding pad, which can be used (for example) on an exit wound on an arm or limb.

What I'm leaning towards for my own uses is establishing the risks I expect to face and building kit(s) based on those risks. Each kit will have/has the same basic ingredients (TQ, hemostatic, chest seal, trauma dressing) but some have multiples of those, some add things like boo-boo ingredients, etc. My base kit is for local municipal shooting range use, and I can add to it with layers as I get more remote. Being a non-LE civilian range-use is my primary focus as anarchistic fantasies aren't really my thing.

You could do similar to this by carrying what you list as you state in the pockets, and adding duplicates to the vest etc. Assuming you're LE, I think you'd also want to differentiate between what you carry for self-aid (on your person) vs. victim aid (perhaps in the vehicle). Obviously items intended for self-aid could be used on a victim if the situation warranted, but if they're down, and you're still taking fire and have the potential of getting hit, I'd save that shit for myself!

On a related note, I just got one of the BFG Trauma Kit Now pouches in last night and I am really excited about the possibilities of this thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Personal Kit

Thank you for the prompt response. I am Deputy In Modoc County Ca. That's the far NE corner, population maybe 8000 total. A very small dept in which we wear many hats. I'm actually a resident and live about 80 miles from the main office just south of Oregon, and work out of a trailer.

I do have an extensive med kit on my vest, and a spare in my truck, I don't carry them on me for day to day stuff. I daily find myself looking into the next gully or way out in the dessert or on top of a mountain, in volcanic rock terrain.

Sharp, Jagged and possibly lethal if I fall and punch a hole in myself. I'm new on this group and always looking for ways to improve my kit. Being new I'm uninformed as to who's who, Are you in a business that might supply stuff?. If so could you shoot me a link for review.

I'm headed back to my duty station at about 1400 PST.

Respectfully Dirk Williams

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No, no business here. Just a survival-minded competition shooter and training junkie and part-time gunwriter when I can convince someone to publish my stuff.

North American Rescue is one of the bigger name suppliers of emergency med gear. Galls actually is carrying more and more emergency management gear all the time as well.

Feedback Score

Individual Med Kit

If I may suggest a med kit to suit yours and other LE requirements - Look at the MoJo vacuum sealed line on Combatmedicalsystems.com. We are an incredibly competitive company born from the Special Ops community (Special Mission Unit) at Fort Bragg, NC. We will customize vacuum sealed kits. We feature small and practical kits with the Combat Gauze, SWAT-T, SOFT-T, CAT, H-Bandage, Bolin Chest Dressing, and Israeli Dressing. We are the Military and LE distributor for the Combat Gauze. Better to purchase from us than others.

For you...I agree with previous comments. Consider a lightweight SAM splint, an OALES bandage (Tactical Medical Solutions), and water purification/drinking device (WaterStick) to round out your kit for outdoor medical and survival scenarios.

Best Regards,

MoJo Med

"You have the best medical kit available, but do you have the MoJo to make a difference?" GOT MOJO?
    Last edited by MoJo Medic; 08-26-09 at 19:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    link??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast