Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kit Buildup - GSW Kit

Feedback Score
    http://www.combatmedicalsystems.com/...4/Level/1.aspx

Sorry. Check all their products. They have LE list as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Med kit

MoJo thank you for the e mail and posting on my question. I do see gear needed on the site. Expect an order soon. For my personal kit I need minimul stuff on my person.

My rationale is simple, if it gets bulky and heavy I'll get lazy and not carry it. My personal gear needs to fit in my cargo pockets comfortably. Left pocket is tquet,and Ackerman chest plate plus a knife.

Right pocket quik clot, battle bandage. Spare truck key,another knife. This gear is reviewed for quality assurance, and loaded before work on my Wed, and comes out when I get back home Sun.

On another note My turf has lots of rattle snakes. Is there a quality reasonably sized snake bite kit available. I'm aware of current protocals however my hospital is several hours away.

My only option now is put a Tquet on above the injection site to possibly manage venom spread, calmly retreat to my unit, and transport myself to nearest facilty while advising the SO.

What is a sam splint, is that a broken leg or arm splint ,and how big are they.

Respectfully, Dirk Williams

Feedback Score
    SAM Splint is a flexible splint that can be purchased from several vendors. It is lightweight, comes folded into a package that is about 8 x 4 inches but opens up to splint quite well. It is ideal for splinting for short durations. A very good piece of kit.

Thanks for the response. Not advertising for orders, just showing some items that are available.

As for snakebite kits....you are just too remote to do any more than you mentioned. I would have to agree with your treatment. Maybe keep a bee sting kit so you have some epi, or carry epi-pen. Does your local ER carry the antivenom you would require. I worked with Miami-Dade fire dept 2 years ago while I was with Special Forces, and coordinated for antivenoms to ship to Iraq. They supply just about everything and could keep a dose or two locally.

Feedback Score
    If you are below tree line and needing to sacrifice weight/bulk. The SAM splint would be one of my first choices to ditch since you can improvise with branches, limbs etc.

this is NOT a bash on the SAM. its tacticool.

Feedback Score

SWAT-T Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Thoughts on the SWAT-T as a dual-use tourniquet and compression bandage when used with gauze or pads?
    I like the SWAT-T more as a compression bandage than I do a tourniquet. I carry both on my kit (Tactical SWAT Medic) and I tend to go to the SWAT-T to hold things in place. I like that I can cinch it down a little more and I don't need tape to hold it there. I have not used it in the field as a tourniquet yet, but I just don't feel as if I could get the same stopping power as some of the tourniquets.

I also like the idea of having a lot of material to work with. The SWAT-T works well on obese patients also!!

Feedback Score

Agree....sorta

Definitely agree in some respects. But the SAM is so light. Consideration is cube space.......do you have the space to carry it. Tree branch does not conform. SAM does. Appreciate the opinion. This is merely mine.

As for the SWAT-T. It is a very good option as a Tourniquet. It is also a GREAT option as a pressure wrap/dressing. Does it beat a windlass tourniquet? That is going to depend on the scenario and status of the casualty or person applying. It is a one-handed option that works.

Best to you all,

MoJo Med

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    BTW, the reason I asked this is that I sometimes get a "why do you need that, just call 911" reaction from some folks to this topic.
    Man that is frustrating. Just like the police can't always save your ass neither can the EMTS or Fire Department. It can easily take 20-30 min for an ambulance to show up where I work, then it is another 20-30 min ride to the ER. That is a long time w/o help. People need to learn to take responsibility and take care of themselves.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234