Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbine Stock

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Carbine Stock

Well, I have had one a for handguards and one for a sling, now it is time for the stock (although the sling issue still hasn't been settled)

I have done some looking and have found the following three that I like
    LMT SOPMOD
    VLTOR EMOD
    MAGPUL CTR

Of these three, which do you recommend and why? Are there any others I should take a look at?
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    I vote for the CTR. It's light, fairly inexpensive, gets the job done, and comes in a range of pretty colors. What will you be using this rifle primarily for? Reason I ask is because of the cheek weld and if you want/need one or not. I find they are really not required in most cases, unless you will be at the bench rest most of the time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The rifle will be used for a bit of everything.
    Tu ne cede malis

-Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    I prefer the CTR myself with the LMT a close second. If you can try all 3 out to see what feels the best and decide from there...
    "In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where we can see them."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My vote is for the MOE stock. It's about $45 cheaper than the CTR and I don't think the friction lock and side sling mount on the CTR are worth that much. The tiny bit of wobble on my MOE is not a concern at all.
    I like girl scout cookies.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    In order of most expensive: SOPMOD, Emod, CTR and MOE.

For carbines, the Magpul CTR or MOE versions have excellent weight, balance and value.

The SOPMOD and the Vltor Emod are excellent stocks with cheekpieces and storage, but have increased weight. As such, they balance better on mid-length gas systems than carbines, especially when a railed fore end is used.

The CTR will lock up the tightest, which many people prefer.

All will work in a pinch. The decision depends on your preferences and your budget.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Have a sopmod on an lmt 16 inch with omega rail, its balances the carbine out great for me. Rather it be heavier towards the rear, like my wife....Just kidding she might be right behind me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blob View Post
    My vote is for the MOE stock. It's about $45 cheaper than the CTR and I don't think the friction lock and side sling mount on the CTR are worth that much. The tiny bit of wobble on my MOE is not a concern at all.
    IMO the friction lock is nice. Absolutely no play in mine whatsoever. It may not be necessary, but it IS nice. I ran a VLTOR prior and the CTR was worth the money IMO.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Never had a SOPMOD... but the EMod I had on my Del-ton middy was nice. It was a HBAR and helped to balance it out. The cheek weld and storage options were nice. I used the tubes for batteries... didn't find much use for the storage compartment.

I have a Stag carbine now and run a CTR. IMO the CTR is one of the best options out there for a carbine. It is lightweight and does not rattle one bit. It isn't too expensive either. If I was on a tight budget I would definitely look into the MOEs. Might also want to look into Magpul's ACS.
    Last edited by curriek; 07-09-09 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for all of the responses. It is looking like the CTR may be the best option since it will be a fairly light rifle with the only attachment on the front a possible TD Stubby.
    Keep 'em coming
    Tu ne cede malis

-Charles Kettering

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast