Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Superior Barrels' - "Hard Blue" Process

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    Superior closed about 3 1/2 years ago. I am glad I got the ones I did but I need to thin down my collection as I have more than I could ever shoot.
    So you dug it up to pump up the interest in your upcoming sale?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Superior was somewhere in North Georgia and sourced their very good barrels from Lothar-Walther (somewhere close to Atlanta). I think they were one of the first businesses to offer a nitrided/treated barrel.

Precision Shooting carried some very flattering long-term reviews.

I think any decent shop that can turn and chamber a blank true, then nitride and stress-relieve correctly will get the same result.
    I have a Superior Lothar Walther "Dexa" barrel that did not have their Hard Blue treatment, but used LW50 steel. It likes monolithics and whitetail. I've always wondered if LW50 is something like 17-4, or maybe the Criterion "SS410" BCM advertises, DD's "special" steel they used in their Mk12 18" stainless barrels.. lately we've seen Bartlein 400MODBB. Would be nice for someone to demystify all that.

I also remember Superior's youtube videos of "Hard Blue" barrels not taking a scratch from a rasp. Allegedly. Can't say I've been brave enough to try that on a nitrided barrel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123