Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Zero for 9mm SBR AR?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

What Zero for 9mm SBR AR?

What is the recommended zero for the 9mm AR? Will be running a Rock River 10.5
    9mm with a SWR Trident Suppressor.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Colts 9mm SMG small (long range) apature is labled 50meters. I am in the process of building mine now. Interested in hearing from others on this topic also.

Feedback Score
    Yea, I'd be interested in hearing from folks knowledgeable in 9mm ballistics & bullet-drop at various ranges, too.

I understand the 5.56 50/200yd BZO theory, where an AR sighted in so the Point of Aim crosses the Point of Impact at 50 yds, and at 200 yds; and the bullet won't be more than ~2 inches above or below that from muzzle distance out to ~250 or so yards.

I'd love to hear what the equivalent BZO recommedations would be for a 9mm SBR-length barrel.

Feedback Score
    To start with, you have to seriously evaluate what you expect to accomplish with a pistol round being fired from a carbine. For example, I use my 9mm AR-15 carbine for training at CQB distances at shooting ranges that don't allow rifle calibers. Then understand that the external ballistics of the pistol round will be drastically different from that of a 5.56mm round, therefore you can't use the same sighting schemes as you would on a 5.56mm platform.

That being said, here are two examples of the more practical sighting schemes I've used.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Molon, thanks for posting that, as it's something I've been looking for myself for quite some time. Is that for velocities typical of a 10.5" barrel, and do you happen to know what kind of change in velocity we might expect between a 10.5" and 16", and how that might affect the trajectory?

Feedback Score
    Molon, perfect, thanks - - just what I was looking for.

Feedback Score
    Great post. Would be interested in the barrel lengths as well.

Feedback Score
    I zero'd mine at 25 yards.

Thanks for the graph Molon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Molon, thanks for posting that, as it's something I've been looking for myself for quite some time. Is that for velocities typical of a 10.5" barrel, and do you happen to know what kind of change in velocity we might expect between a 10.5" and 16", and how that might affect the trajectory?
    IIRC, I used the 124 grain HST velocity from a 16" Colt 6450 for that graph. The velocity differences between the 16" Colt 6450 and a 5" pistol barrel is approximately 160 fps, so the 10.5" barrel is going to be somewhere in between that. The trajectories won't be dramatically different from those shown in the graph.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    http://web.archive.org/web/200801240...e/9mmzero.msnw

Here is link to a recomendation for a 25yd zero. Not sure if this is approiate for an SBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast