Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9x19mm FMJ advantages?

Feedback Score

9x19mm FMJ advantages?

Is there any possible advantage that FMJ features over quality JHP loads in any ballistic comparison?

For example: superior metal penetration, deeper penetration for hunting hogs, windshields?

Note: this is not an excuse to discredit JHP loads. I was simply wondering if only a handgun were available, if it would be a good idea to have a mag of FMJ 124 or 115gr +P 9mm in the car.

Regular carry/protection loads will be quality JHP loads -- Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.

I searched and aside from loads of penetration, there did not appear to much on the sides of comparison that I could find about 9x19 FMJ.

Additionally, does .45ACP have ideal penetration characterstics to 9x19?

Feedback Score
    No, no, and no.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Hey Doc. Are there any FMJ variations that would be more effective and create a larger permanent wound channel. For example FMJ SWC

Feedback Score
    Not really, unless you count Federal's EFMJ.

Feedback Score
    Wow thanks Doc.

My interest is piqued...how could good JHP loads like 124 or 147gr Gold Dot do better in penetration of windsheilds and car doors against hot 124gr 9mm?

Forgive me for asking, I like to know why things are the way they are. Finding data on the issue isn't easy either.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Not really, unless you count Federal's EFMJ.
    Thanks Doc. I guess that means the Military is SOL. I don't see the M9/9mm combination going anywhere soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 298436 View Post
    Wow thanks Doc.

My interest is piqued...how could good JHP loads like 124 or 147gr Gold Dot do better in penetration of windsheilds and car doors against hot 124gr 9mm?
    What "hot 124 gr 9mm" FMJ load, specifically, are you referring to?
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    This 124gr FMJ +P.

Looking into subgun loads for a 9mm carbine too. Probably not a lot of 9mm carbines/subguns that are rated for +P+ are there?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 298436 View Post
    Ok, for starters, the ad copy for the ammo that you linked to is bogus. Winchester doesn’t make a +P 124 grain FMJ load. If you zoom in on the end-flap of the box in the picture, you can see that the ammo is actually Winchester’s 9mm NATO 124 grain FMJ load (RA9124N), which can hardly be considered “hot.” 9mm 124 grain NATO loads are not any faster than a modern standard pressure 124 grain hollow point load, such as the 124 grain Speer Gold Dot.

Secondly, most 9mm FMJ bullets are of traditional construction, meaning they are not bonded. Testing by Dr. Roberts and others has shown that bonded bullets, such as the Speer Gold Dots, perform better through barriers than bullets of traditional construction.

Here’s a close-up of the end-flap from the ad.

Last edited by Molon; 07-13-09 at 17:52.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Hah -- how I would have never caught that.

We have a pair of pistol caliber carbines, one in 9mm and the other in .40.

Probably should use 9mm 124 or 147gr +P+ hollow points for those I take it? Would be interesting to try some IMI UZI subgun ammo. Compared to even light intermediate rounds like the 5.56 there is no comparison in accuracy, range and penetration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast