Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

What am I doing wrong?

I'm 5'8" and currently 242 lbs, and I'm 44 years old.

I've lost a lot of weight over the past few years: over 100 lbs.; still, I have a lot to go. I work out six days a week, but can't loose any more weight, evidently.

To break the plateau, for the past six weeks I've been bicycling to work: that's 18 miles each way, which takes about 90 minutes each way.

After I get home I lift weights for about 45 minutes. I'm eating at 2700 calories a day: 18% carb, 49% protein, 33% fat.

I just weighed myself (I only do that once a month). After all that, I lost 3 pounds last month.

I've been trying to nail down how may calories I should be eating, using online calculators, but I get wildly varying answers.

I got my RMR medically tested, and it came out to 2376.

I use a heart rate monitor during my workout; my bike commute costs an average of 2200 calories per day, and weights about 600. Plus 500 more for normal activity through the rest of the day.

That all adds up to 5700 calories expended, per day; at an intake level of 2700 that would give a daily caloric deficit of 3000.

According to the laws of Physics, I should have lost a lot more weight than a mere 3 pounds....but I didn't.

3 pounds. That just doesn't seem possible. Look at the freaking caloric deficits I'm running! What coud I be doing wrong?
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 07-12-09 at 16:44.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    you're not losing weight, but how do you look/feel?

i'm not fitness expert, but i know if you're strenuously working out and building muscle mass, which weighs more than fat, your body will metabolize that fat straight into muscle and you won't lose a whole lot of weight.

I don't know what RMR is... is that related to BMI? do you know what your BMI was and is currently?

sounds like you've been at it long enough that you should have already passed that phase... so i dunno. hopefully someone with some fitness expertise will happen by.

but- congratulations on having the discipline to improve yourself, and it sounds like you most certainly are, even if the scale isn't cooperating.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    On the surface it sure sounds as if you are doing your part. Just keep it up and you will continue to lose weight. When you are doing your biking are you getting your heart rate elevated? Casual cruises on a bike don't do as much as you might think.

Try spreading your caloric intake into small meals 5 times a day...

Swimming is also an excellent form of of exercise.

The key is to keep having a positive attitude, the rest will come.

Maybe try Yoga and spinning classes. Don't laugh Yoga will bust your ass.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    RMR = Resting Metabolioc Rate; how many calories your body burns per day, without additional physical activity.

I've been doing the "six small meals a day" plan, for several years now.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    First, i'm no expert - hell, it's been 2 years since i worked out.

2 things come to mind.

1. like already posted, maybe you are turning fat into muscle.

2. I'd actually suggest that you eat more calories.

If you are burning 5700 calories a day and only taking in 2700, your body might think it is starving and store fat.

Also, you are 44 - i'm 42. I don't know about you but my metabolism isn't what it was when i was in my 20-30's. It is a lot harder to figure out what routine works for your body as you get older. So, experiment a bit on workout routine and calorie intake until you find what works.

Also, i'd get one of those scales that also does body fat. They might not be perfect but it gives you a starting point for you. Also, i'd weigh yourself once a week - at the same time of day every time. Your body will weigh more / less at different times during the day so you want to stay consistant.

Good luck and don't give up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by guns4fun View Post
    First, i'm no expert - hell, it's been 2 years since i worked out.

2 things come to mind.

1. like already posted, maybe you are turning fat into muscle.

2. I'd actually suggest that you eat more calories.

If you are burning 5700 calories a day and only taking in 2700, your body might think it is starving and store fat.
    So where is the body getting these missing 3000 calories from? That is a good trick, considering he is only taking in 2700...

I think the OP's caloric intake calculations are wrong. Somehow, he is getting more calories than he thinks.

As for fat being converted directly into muscle (turning fat into muscle), I thought that was physically impossible and thus a myth.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you are right IraqNinja. Your body will not simply convert one to the other, but what it will do when you are taking less in that you need, is store some of it as fat. If you do not match caloric intake to caloric out, your body will go into "starvation mode" and start taking part of what you intake and make it fat. Why? Because you body isn't a calculator, it plans ahead. If you aren't taking in what you are putting out, it will store some away for later. Take in what you put out, and your body won't feel "starved". It'll burn what comes in when you burn it.

I've been dealing with this for quite some time. I have a complication with my thyroid that throws off my whole body. You may want to have that checked. It controls a lot of your metabolism. It may have something to do with it. I never had a problem with weight, until I hit 30. Then all of the sudden, with similar intake and activity, I started to pack on the pounds. Just some ummmm... food for thought.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    So where is the body getting these missing 3000 calories from? That is a good trick, considering he is only taking in 2700...
    Depending on how his body is working - either by burning muscle or fat reserves.

I think the OP's caloric intake calculations are wrong. Somehow, he is getting more calories than he thinks.
    Maybe

As for fat being converted directly into muscle (turning fat into muscle), I thought that was physically impossible and thus a myth.
    Correct, you are not actually turning fat into muscle. You would be burning fat away and increasing muscle mass from working out. IE he is replacing 4lbs of fat with 4lbs of muscle mass.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    I think you are right IraqNinja. Your body will not simply convert one to the other, but what it will do when you are taking less in that you need, is store some of it as fat. If you do not match caloric intake to caloric out, your body will go into "starvation mode" and start taking part of what you intake and make it fat. Why? Because you body isn't a calculator, it plans ahead. If you aren't taking in what you are putting out, it will store some away for later. Take in what you put out, and your body won't feel "starved". It'll burn what comes in when you burn it.

I've been dealing with this for quite some time. I have a complication with my thyroid that throws off my whole body. You may want to have that checked. It controls a lot of your metabolism. It may have something to do with it. I never had a problem with weight, until I hit 30. Then all of the sudden, with similar intake and activity, I started to pack on the pounds. Just some ummmm... food for thought.
    That's a great suggestion on the thyroid.

Yeah, getting older sucks.

When in my 20's i weighed 160-170. I worked out all the time and couldn't bulk up to save my life. Of course my body fat was 8%.

Then i hit my 30's and did the martial arts 4 days a week - without lifting heavy weights. If i wasn't careful, i'd be at 175-185.

Now i'm in my 40's 190 - 200lbs and don't work out at all. So, all i need to do now is look at a pizza and it puts on 5lbs .

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i said the fat's metabolized into muscle- i didn't say fat is converted directly into muscle. fat is stored energy. when the body needs energy, it burns fat to get it- if you're working out, that energy goes to creating muscle.

conversion.

no myths involved.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast