Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Feedback Score
    Have a testosterone level & PSA checked when you get your thyroid checked. Make sure your doc gets a Free T4 and not just a TSH.

The most common cause of inability to lose weight is, as noted above, BUFU'ing your Intake/Expended calculations. The second most common, as above, is eating too little. Get help from a dietician.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RESQDOC View Post
    Have a testosterone level & PSA checked when you get your thyroid checked. Make sure your doc gets a Free T4 and not just a TSH.
    This is the key that will unlock doors. Go see a good endocrinologist. At you age you hormones are what is getting the best of you. Without going into a long drawn out post go to an endocrinologist and get the blood work done and have him straighten you out. Anti-Aging Doc's are good to if you can afford them. They usually aren't covered by your insurance....

Feedback Score
    if your caloric intake is too low, you will store more of what you do eat as fat. also, eating too little can cause your body to break down muscle tissue.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had a check-up last year and all levels were within norms.

Intake: I write down the caloric values and macronutrient levels of everything I eat. So, I know what I'm taking in.

Expenditure: all my cardio workouts I use a heart rate monitor, which measures calories burned. So, I know what I'm expending.

The only thing I can think of is my deficit is too high....but I'd almost have to double my intake to get within the recommended maximum daily 1000 calorie deficit. I don't think I could even eat that much....
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    I don't count calories, my heart rate monitor is my neck and two fingers.

I eat basic, clean foods, and when it comes to workin out, i put out.

I work out five days a week. Run, bike, swim, lift. My diet consists mostly of rice, chicken, steak, eggs, potatoes, canadian bacon, vegies, cheese and water, fruits and some bread (bread, beagles, english muffins etc.)

I eat probably 5k calories a day or more, actually, i probably consume 5k calories between breakfast and lunch.

There are good calories and bad calories. 1k good calories is better then 500 bad ones.

Eat right, and eat enough. if your feeling hungry, weak, tired, light headed, then your not drinking enough. When you work out, dont get all scientific. sometimes we need to get back to basics. Just put out, youll know if your gettin a good work out or not.

My best workouts usually with my guts in the grass and my chest feeling like its about to explode. I dont remember the last time i checked my heart rate to make sure it was at x bpm for y ammount of time. I dont even time my miles when i run, most of the time, i dont even know how far ive ran. I just get out go, and go hard. it sort of depends on how i feel that day, sometimes i wanna lift heavy, others lift for reps, some days i like to run short and hard, other days i like to run farther but at a little slower pace.

Keep your workouts mixed up and fresh, and try not to get to caught up in all the work out technical fads, gym coolness and what not.

Congrats on loosing all the weight youve lost thus far, 100lbs is a huge accomplishment!
    Last edited by Mr.Goodtimes; 07-13-09 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post

Intake: I write down the caloric values and macronutrient levels of everything I eat. So, I know what I'm taking in.

Expenditure: all my cardio workouts I use a heart rate monitor, which measures calories burned. So, I know what I'm expending.

The only thing I can think of is my deficit is too high....but I'd almost have to double my intake to get within the recommended maximum daily 1000 calorie deficit. I don't think I could even eat that much....
    Okay, if you really don't think you can increase your calorie intake by eating more food, try this.

Get a tub of protein powder - a tub of raw oats (oatmeal), some frozen strawberries and plain yogurt.

Take 2 scoops of protein powder (I used strawberry flavor), 1/2 to 1 cup of raw oats, 1 cup of plain yogurt, one half bag (depending on bag size) of frozen strawberries, ice and a cup of water or oj.

Put it in a blender and drink the whole blender full. That should add about 800 - 1000 calories.

I loved drinking my smoothie blends in the morning. It’s a great boost to start the day. I used to drink one every morning because it was too hard to do the blender stuff any other time of the day and I didn’t want to drink it too late in the evening. Even if you only drink half of it in the am and the other half after dinner for desert - just make sure you drink it all so you can get the full calorie affect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guns4fun View Post
    Okay, if you really don't think you can increase your calorie intake by eating more food, try this.

Get a tub of protein powder - a tub of raw oats (oatmeal), some frozen strawberries and plain yogurt.

Take 2 scoops of protein powder (I used strawberry flavor), 1/2 to 1 cup of raw oats, 1 cup of plain yogurt, one half bag (depending on bag size) of frozen strawberries, ice and a cup of water or oj.

Put it in a blender and drink the whole blender full. That should add about 800 - 1000 calories.

I loved drinking my smoothie blends in the morning. It’s a great boost to start the day. I used to drink one every morning because it was too hard to do the blender stuff any other time of the day and I didn’t want to drink it too late in the evening. Even if you only drink half of it in the am and the other half after dinner for desert - just make sure you drink it all so you can get the full calorie affect.
    Another really excleent one is, raw oats, a frozen banana, some milk, ice, chocolate protein and some peanut butter. if you use good protein powder, it actually tastes like a milk shake.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    Another really excleent one is, raw oats, a frozen banana, some milk, ice, chocolate protein and some peanut butter. if you use good protein powder, it actually tastes like a milk shake.
    That sounds very good too.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Normal for a 44 year old is not what you want. You want normal for a 25 year old...

Feedback Score
    Supplementation can work wonders when confronted with a sticking point. Sometimes they are all thats needed to break the plateau. It seems your diet is in check, I would suggest some type of pre-workout stimulant/thermogenic to speed up the fat burning process as well as curb appetite/carb cravings, coupled with green tea (with a high percentage of ECGC) extract and omega 3 fish oil at least 6 grams a day. You will be amazed I assure you. And green tea and fish oil have many other benefits as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast