Thread: Any Thoughts on .30 Remington AR Cartridge?

Feedback Score

Any Thoughts on .30 Remington AR Cartridge?

Hey guys, I read recently that Reminton is coming out with a new round and new chambering for standard sized AR's called the .30 Remington AR. SUPPOSEDLY, it has velocities that rival a .308, but it's compact enough to run in standard AR's. They claim they can attain the velocity because of more modern powders etc. Anybody have any thoughts? For a tactical weapon, or to use like many of you guys seem to use your rigs, it will most likely be very cost prohibitive, but for guys like me who hunt, I'm thinking it looks pretty sweet. The .204 Ruger AR's seem to be catching on with some varmint hunters, and Remington's adoption of the platform seems to "legitimize" the weapon as a hunting oriented weapon. It just looks like it would be a great alternative for those of us who hunt larger game like wild hogs, big deer, maybe even elk or moose. What do you guys think? If any of you have done any research on it, when do you think it will be out? Who, other than Remington, will chamber uppers for it? etc. etc.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

WAG

This a wild guess, but I would say the the 6.8 SPC SpecII w/ 1:11 rifling will equal or beat the Remington .30 AR. Remington famously was unable to deliver the promised velocities with the 6.8 and I suspect that they will have the same issues with the.30 AR. I do not think that the science of powder has evolved so quickly so as to allow a .223 cartridge to shoot a 77 grain .224 bullet at 24-2600 FPS and also allow a .30 bullet of meaningful weight (at LEAST 125 grains for very short range work, preferably 150 and heavier) to be fired at anywhere NEAR that velocity if case volume is close to that of the smaller cartridge (also keeping in mind the DI nature of operation). I will withhold judgment until I see some 3rd party testing with this cartridge. I doubt it will live up to its claims. I foresee it shooting like a .30-30. Who needs that when you have people developing 115 grain 6.8 SPC rounds that safely shoot almost 2700 FPS from a 16" barrel with zero signs of over pressure? I see it as a redundant development. Just my ignorant opinion.