Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Full" kit?

ToddG Guest

"Full" kit?

Didn't really see this addressed in the other "kit" threads.

Let's suppose I'm willing to spend the money on a fairly comprehensive kit to keep in the trunk in the event that I, with my tremendous 52 hours of training, am forced to singlehandedly respond to the apocalypse. I do not need anything that involves putting additional holes in people, as I've got no training to do so.

I was looking at something like this bag from Galls which quite literally seems to cover every single thing I was trained to do.

It's understood that the odds are I'll never use 95% of the stuff in the bag, but it seems like cheap insurance rather than finding myself in a situation where I need something and don't have it.

Feedback Score
    1 - BVM
    2 - Rolls Kerlix (4")
    1 - 4"-8" thick handful of non-sterile gauze in ziplock baggie
    1 - Trauma Dressing (the huge gauze pads like 20" by 15"
    1 - 4" Ace bandage
    2 - Tourniquets
    2 - Triangular Bandages
    1 - OB KIT (http://www.buyemp.com/product/1112101.html)
    1 - Baby Beanie (http://www.buyemp.com/product/1112203.html)
    1 - 500mL bottle NS or Sterile Water
    1 - Biggest Damn box of different types of Band-Aids that you can find (including at least some kid friendly animal or cartoon print)
    1 - Tube of Neosporin Triple Antibiotic
    1 - Container of Bug Spray just the standard 5000% DEET is sufficient
    1 - Bottle of spray type topical Benadryl
    1 - Bottle of very high SPH sunbock
    1 - Pair of tweezers
    2 - Tampons (See Below)
    2 - Sanitary Napkins (Chick Pads - They dig em)
    1 - Roll Silk 1" Medical Tape
    1 - Sam Splint
    2 - Instant Cold Packs
    1 - Pair of Cheap Trauma Shears
    2 - Space Blanket
    1 - Box of Large Nitrile Gloves placed in 1 gallon ziplock baggie (as many as you can fit)
    1 - Blood Glucose Meeter with disposable lancets
    1 - Tube of oral Glucose or non-melting candy bar
    1 - Regular plain jane digital thermometer with disposable sleeves
    1 - Bottle of Hand Sanitizer

The Following OTC Meds in either the original bottle or a multi pill organizer clearly marked as to the name, dose, standard dosing regimen, and exp date.

Tylenol
    Ibuprofen
    Aspirin
    Benadryl
    Pseudoephedrine
    Guaifenesin

Children's Liquid Tylenol
    Children's Liquid Benadryl

That should cover anything that you need in a car type scenario. Some of those things wont seem like necessary items until you need them. Anyone else see any changes they need to make to this list feel free to add/subtract.

PS-I just think its cool to get to give Todd advice for once lol.

Feedback Score
    If there is one thing you dont want to be without its gloves. Keep at least 10 pair of size large non-latex gloves in a ziplock baggie in the console of every vehicle you own. Being out of gloves when someone needs help is just as bad as being out of bullets when someone needs shooting.

ToddG Guest
    TacMedic -- Generally (edited to add: I meant genuinely not generally!) appreciate that. I'm hoping there's a turnkey solution rather than having to source and build the kit myself.

But quite a few of the things you listed, I'd have never thought of.
    Last edited by ToddG; 07-16-09 at 01:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    TacMedic came up with a pretty comprehensive list....oddly enough, naming most, if not all the items in my personal kit.

A couple of additions though:

A good flashlight - you never know when you'll need one. Chances are, you'll be carrying one in your vehicle or on your person, but if not, definitely put one in the kit. I carry a yellow Surefire G2 in my bag in the outside chance that it's dark and I need to treat someone but left my maglite in the truck. Why yellow? If I drop it then it's easy to spot.

A couple occlusive dressings - great for patching the holes you didn't wake up with that morning. These can be the commercially available types such as the Ascherman Chest Seal, or you can improvise with a petroleum jelly dressing.

Tongue depressors - literally. You'll find a hundred uses for them. I've used them for applying topical ointments, splinting broken/sprained fingers, and of course to depress tongues.

BP cuff and stethoscope - obviously for checking BPs. The cuff can be used as a tournaquet as well, and the scope can clue you in to breath sounds or the absense thereof.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If I skimmed over it in the list I didn't mean to but I would definitely throw in a small stuffed animal. Whether you're treating a child or the adult/parent it will definitely help relax the kid by focusing their attention in either situation. Maybe a sucker too??? What kid doesn't like a lollipop and a teddy bear?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat as Todd. With a smaller IFAK I'm willing to buy each piece individually to get what I want, but I'd really like to have a single "click here to buy now" type big kit that I can add a few extras to if needed.

Feedback Score
    Todd:

my "full" kit weighs about 37 lbs, but I have a lot of advanced airway tools, suture/minor surg kit, IV stuff, and other things that most normal people will never get trained to use. Basically an ER in a bag.

As far as off the shelf kits, look at some of the stuff at Galls and some of the wilderness and EMS suppliers. You want a good BLS kit, and then add the OTC meds extra gloves, and any thing you think you need.

This one should get you started: http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...TK085&cat=4536

Also since you work around firearms here is a good GSW kit, just need to add a TK to it.
    Gall's GSW kit
    Last edited by FMF_Doc; 07-16-09 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    Add in a few pair of playtex type dish gloves. Get one size larger than you normally use so you can get them on over blood & sweat. Not great on the dexterity front but fine for holding pressure on bleeders, etc., broken glass/sharp metal/chemical resistant versus medical gloves, uber cheap and reusable.

The Galls' kit FMF noted above is good value for the money, for a pre-made kit. Makes a great kit for clubs to have at the range (nudge-nudge).
    Last edited by RESQDOC; 07-16-09 at 08:18.

ToddG Guest
    So at least looking at it on their website, the Galls kit I referenced has the exact same contents as the one FMF did, but in a smaller overall package. I'm guessing the larger bag is just more easily organized and/or allows for adding more of the 'missing' stuff?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast