Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Full" kit?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMF_Doc View Post
    Todd:

my "full" kit weighs about 37 lbs, but I have a lot of advanced airway tools, suture/minor surg kit, IV stuff, and other things that most normal people will never get trained to use. Basically an ER in a bag.

As far as off the shelf kits, look at some of the stuff at Galls and some of the wilderness and EMS suppliers. You want a good BLS kit, and then add the OTC meds extra gloves, and any thing you think you need.

This one should get you started: http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...TK085&cat=4536

Also since you work around firearms here is a good GSW kit, just need to add a TK to it.
    Gall's GSW kit
    What do you think of this GSW kit from GAL's using the Combat Gauze in place of Quick Clot.

Dyna Med® MOLLE Pouch Gunshot Trauma Kit with QuikClot® Combat Gauze™
    http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=TK099

Thanks
    Phila PD

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    So at least looking at it on their website, the Galls kit I referenced has the exact same contents as the one FMF did, but in a smaller overall package. I'm guessing the larger bag is just more easily organized and/or allows for adding more of the 'missing' stuff?
    Todd, I pasted the lists into a spreadsheet and got a 1:1 identical contents, with the one bag being approx. 1" bigger in each direction and costing $10 more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    What do you think of this GSW kit from GAL's using the Combat Gauze in place of Quick Clot.

Thanks
    Phila PD
    Phila,

I'd prefer to have and use Combat Gauze over Quick Clot. It has a higher efficacy rating, and condenses two steps to one (hemostatic agent and wound packing).

B

TLG-

The kit discussed sounds like it's just what you'd want on hand. I'd be happy to get with you one on one if we're in the same AO in the near future and walk you through all of it and how to use it.

BP

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OK, because I'm a nerd, I put all the DynaMed packs from Galls site into a spreadsheet.

Last edited by rob_s; 10-13-09 at 05:19.

ToddG Guest
    Good Lord, he actually made The Chart for trauma kits ...

Feedback Score
    I agree with a flashlight but I wouldnt get an expensive one, how often are you really in this kit? A few glowsticks might be more appropriate especially considering that im sure Todd has an EDC light. If you want to add a Stethescope/BP Cuff to the list thats cool. Just know how to use them and dont give BS numbers if you have a hard time getting the BP or difficulty distinguishing ronchi from rales. The only reason I didnt throw them in is it doesnt seem to me like he would be basing many treatment decisions on his findings with them. If he finds someone with a crappy BP, or even a high BP, where his car is accesible he will probably call an ambulance. He isnt going to be basing the decision on wether or not to needle decompress someone on their lung sounds he is going to place a gloved hand on the chest wound. An ascherman chest seal is a good option although I was assuming he would keep those and his Izzy dressings etc. in a more GSW specific type kit. Tourniquets are only a necessity in this kit as it is intended for car storage and there is a high risk of amputation or near amputation in Rural highway MVC's changing tires etc where people get struck between two vehicles. Great catch on the toungue depressors, where would we be without them lol. You can mcguyver some crazy stuff with tounge depressors. Maybe if there was a bunch of people were interested we could do a group buy type setup and get a little better kit put together for around the same money.

Feedback Score
    I'd get the S.T.O.M.P. II bag to put it all in, but the bag is $200 w/no contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post

Thanks
    Phila PD

I haven't ever used the Combat Gauze, but I'd look for reviews of it. I have used Quick Clot and know that it works. The kit looks like it will absolutely serve your purposes.

ToddG Guest
    For the record, I will not be doing a needle decompression on anyone. Not within the scope of my training.
    Last edited by ToddG; 07-16-09 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I generally abhor prepackaged kits like the Galls offerings. They tend to include the cheapest components, the wrong ones, the wrong proportions of them, of just stuff that doesn't suit my taste. Haven't bought one in years.

Looking at the Galls kit, I think you're paying too much for too little.

For a basic kit that can always be with you, look at starting with a TT First Responder Bag, add a BOK of some sort to it, then stock around it with support gear like on the list(s) above. There's not enough room for a BVM, but the necessity and utility of one for a bystander is limited.

You'll save money and have better stuff buying your own. Go in with a partner and buy by the case for best savings.
    Last edited by ST911; 07-16-09 at 14:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic4450 View Post
    Tourniquets are only a necessity in this kit as it is intended for car storage and there is a high risk of amputation or near amputation in Rural highway MVC's changing tires etc where people get struck between two vehicles.
    Not sharpshooting you, and I recognize that you're speaking about GSW stuff in a separate blowout kit, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of TQ usage. Heck, even National Registry is putting them in a new light these days.

As far as a light to keep, chemlights are handy, but I'm a big fan of a headlamp. It lets you work in reduced light, hands free, and the light follows where you look.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast