Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Full" kit?

Feedback Score
    Perhaps I misstated what I was attempting to say. Let me assure everyone that I am in no way dismissive of tourniquets and think that every person in public safety should have at least one on them at all times. My point was more of while he already carries this item, here is the reason that it requires duplication in a 2nd medical kit. If someone is bleeding severely I start at a tourniquet and then work my way back down towards gauze and such.

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I'd agree with your first choice from Galls. I used to carry almost that same kit on the ambulance and similar jobs. If it carries what you're trained to use, that's what you need.

I think you're on the money with this mindset: Don't carry stuff you're not trained/allowed to use, but don't put yourself in a position to be without something you *are* trained to use in the event you might need it.

I started with a bag like that, a smaller "frequently used items" kit, and a "oh $#!%" kit for my range bag (gloves, SWAT-T, gauze, kling, band-aids). Over time you may add things: I'm a firm believer in a headlamp and penlight with any medical kit, as well as a glow stick, so make sure there's a little room to grow.

And whatever you do, always have gloves. "Being out of gloves when someone needs help is just as bad as being out of bullets when someone needs shooting" is one of the best phrases I've heard in a long time.
    "I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
    -Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Needle decompression?

I very well may have overlooked it. Did anyone mention a couple of 10ga needles with catheters including one way valves from a pet store aquarium section? These work great for a tension pneumo. 14 ga will work in a pinch. Also, you can always resort to a latex glove finger tip as well on the end of the catheter, after the needle has been punched through and withdrawn, to prevent air from rushing back into the pleural space. Remember, 2nd or 3rd intercostal space, mid-clavicular, top of the rib, bevel down.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images...ish-supply.jpg

These are sort of similar to the ones we carry on our medic units.

http://www.petworldshop.com/pictures...heck-valve.jpg

OF COURSE BE CERTIFIED, TRAINED AND NEVER TRY THIS AT HOME.

Feedback Score
    The current research says that a 14g 3.25" catheter without a valve is the most effective.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Didn't really see this addressed in the other "kit" threads.

Let's suppose I'm willing to spend the money on a fairly comprehensive kit to keep in the trunk in the event that I, with my tremendous 52 hours of training, am forced to singlehandedly respond to the apocalypse. I do not need anything that involves putting additional holes in people, as I've got no training to do so.

I was looking at something like this bag from Galls which quite literally seems to cover every single thing I was trained to do.

It's understood that the odds are I'll never use 95% of the stuff in the bag, but it seems like cheap insurance rather than finding myself in a situation where I need something and don't have it.
    Biggest reason I can advocate to someone who can afford the big kit to buy it is not necessarily that you may know how to use every item inside. But a good example would be the power outage a few years back. I have access to plenty of local doctors and nurses, but the chances of any of the knuckleheads actually having gear with them is slim to none outside of their familiar hospital environment. I can get to them and put the stuff in their hands to do what needs to be done beyond what my knowledge covers. So i sure as hell may not know how to use sutures and scalpels but I know people within a half mile who do. Same situation in vehicular accidents on the highway, been in several where nurses come up to offer help without a damn thing in their hands. Do however be very cognizant of your own skill/equipment limitations though.

Holy thread resurrection batman, I just went back to check the original thread date. rofl
    Last edited by dhrith; 05-24-10 at 00:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMedic View Post
    1 - BVM
    2 - Rolls Kerlix (4")
    1 - 4"-8" thick handful of non-sterile gauze in ziplock baggie
    1 - Trauma Dressing (the huge gauze pads like 20" by 15"
    1 - 4" Ace bandage
    2 - Tourniquets
    2 - Triangular Bandages
    1 - OB KIT (http://www.buyemp.com/product/1112101.html)
    1 - Baby Beanie (http://www.buyemp.com/product/1112203.html)
    1 - 500mL bottle NS or Sterile Water
    1 - Biggest Damn box of different types of Band-Aids that you can find (including at least some kid friendly animal or cartoon print)
    1 - Tube of Neosporin Triple Antibiotic
    1 - Container of Bug Spray just the standard 5000% DEET is sufficient
    1 - Bottle of spray type topical Benadryl
    1 - Bottle of very high SPH sunbock
    1 - Pair of tweezers
    2 - Tampons (See Below)
    2 - Sanitary Napkins (Chick Pads - They dig em)
    1 - Roll Silk 1" Medical Tape
    1 - Sam Splint
    2 - Instant Cold Packs
    1 - Pair of Cheap Trauma Shears
    2 - Space Blanket
    1 - Box of Large Nitrile Gloves placed in 1 gallon ziplock baggie (as many as you can fit)
    1 - Blood Glucose Meeter with disposable lancets
    1 - Tube of oral Glucose or non-melting candy bar
    1 - Regular plain jane digital thermometer with disposable sleeves
    1 - Bottle of Hand Sanitizer

The Following OTC Meds in either the original bottle or a multi pill organizer clearly marked as to the name, dose, standard dosing regimen, and exp date.

Tylenol
    Ibuprofen
    Aspirin
    Benadryl
    Pseudoephedrine
    Guaifenesin

Children's Liquid Tylenol
    Children's Liquid Benadryl

That should cover anything that you need in a car type scenario. Some of those things wont seem like necessary items until you need them. Anyone else see any changes they need to make to this list feel free to add/subtract.

PS-I just think its cool to get to give Todd advice for once lol.
    Good info thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMedic View Post
    The current research says that a 14g 3.25" catheter without a valve is the most effective.
    Correct. You can perform mutiple needle drills as well if needed so I wouldnt get too caught up in finding a "10G cath". In the end, the individual is getting a chest tube as a needle D just buys you time.

Also, the 2nd and 3rd ICS is ideal but dont be afraid to go to another location, keeping in mind where the heart is. The bottom line is air needs to be evacuated from the chest and so on.
    This line is useless and only takes up space. Im suppose to insert something here to validate my post on this site and/or to make myself look cooool. Rubbish. Im a nobody who loves shooting shit.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Just curious, all of the equipment and gear that has been listed, can it stay in a car day in and day out in the summer (or winter) without going bad?

We measured the temperature in two guys trucks last month, they are indentical except one is white and one is black. 140 degrees in the white one and 158 degrees in the black one.

Ba ashame to "think" you have kit but when you need it it is spoiled.

Last edited by ucrt; 08-15-10 at 23:54.

Feedback Score
    ucrt made a valid point that I have been concerned with. If I was a Paramedic or EMT, I would be inclined to transport a comprehensive kit of my profession. For me, space and protected storage within a vehicle is a consideration and I do not like the thought of kicking around an expensive kit exposed to wide environmental conditions. Most of the contents I would probably not use away from home in a prepacked kit. My objective is to have some ability to render appropriate treatment until the arrival of a Paramedic Unit. If money was not an issue, then I would also be inclined to have the best kit that I would routinely rotate or replace.
    sniperbusch

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just some food for thought. If you are a current NREMT card carrier, and you happen to stop at a MVA, ect, keep in mind that you are NOT allowed to do anything more that BLS, unless you call into work and ask to be put on the clock. For you military types (as I am) you cannot work on a PT outside of the gates unless that person is in fact military (not dependant) active duty. But, if you are none of the above, you can do anything you want to a person in need, as long as you felt it was justified. You will be covered under the "Good Samaritan" act...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast