Thread: FN SLP semi auto shotgun, who has one & how do you like it?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

FN SLP semi auto shotgun, who has one & how do you like it?

Been looking at getting one of the FN SLP semi auto shotguns. Anyone on here have one or played with one that can comment on them before I buy? Thanks...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure that's the one that's like a Winchester Super-X which was a great shotgun, very light recoil and very reliable. I haven't shot the SLP but have shot the Super-X.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Know that this is late but I've got an SLP and its a sweet shotgun. Got rid of a preban Benelli M1S90 as it kicked too much for the wife. The SLP is a soft shooter by comparison.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I got an FNH SLP (18" w/ghost ring sights) a couple of weeks ago. Disassembly / assembly is straightforward and not difficult. SLP package includes: foam lined hard plastic case, manual, two gas pistons (light load (shot charge weighing less than 1 1/2 oz.), heavy load (shot charge > 1 1/2 oz.)), two screw in chokes ( IC and modified ), choke wrench, allen wrench for front sight, 2 sling swivels.

Range trip #1: 200 rounds of Estate Heavy Game Loads (3.25 dram 1 1/8 oz. #6) to break in the light load gas piston ( based on The High Road member DHart's range report recommendation ). Also shot 6 rounds Remington express buck 9 pellet. Single shot, double shots, 6+1 magazine dumps as fast as I could pull the trigger - 100 percent reliability. Recoil is very manageable and if you lean into it you can get all 7 rounds downrange without losing your stance / balance.

Range trip #2: 100 rounds Federal low recoil tactical buckshot w/FLITECONTROL wad; 1st - 50 LE132 00 9 pellet (orange and gold box), 2nd - 50 LE133 00 8 pellet (silver box). Also shot 9 rounds Remington express 00 buck 9 pellet. Single shot, double shots, rapid fire 6+1 dumps as fast as I could pull the trigger - 100 percent reliability. With the low recoil buck I could stand almost straight up and get all 7 rounds downrange without losing my balance, unlike the Estate heavy game 3.25 dram 1 1/8 oz. #6, which pushed me up and back most of the time.

FNH SLP was in a clean / lubed state. Cold bore pattern at 15 yd with IC choke: 5.5" group.

[Length of pull is noticably shorter than my two 870Ps.] edit to add: measured LOP is actually about the same as the 870P

I plan to shoot a couple hundred more low recoil Federal tactical buck before I load it for hd.

Looks like ammoman is out of the full power LE127 00 tac buck w/FLITECONTROL wad. I'd like to try some of that through the SLP as full power buck is very manageable.

eta:

FNH SLP 18" bbl'd 5.5" 15 yd group with Federal LE132 00 9 pellet tactical buck with FLITECONTROL WAD. Light recoil gas piston is broken in enough to cycle low recoil loads.

Last edited by f.2; 02-20-10 at 19:10. Reason: length of pull comment

Feedback Score

Mine is due any day

I've got one on order from NorthwestTactical. I hope to try it out soon. It should be a good complement to my Wilson Combat Standard. Now, I just need a Saiga.