Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had to rank them

Feedback Score

If you had to rank them

I am wondering in what order would .38 special loads be ranked for a snubnose revolver? The reason I ask is because I have a particular snubnose that shoots the recommended loads either a few inches high, or a couple inches low. I was going to try some other loads to see if there was something that might hit closer to POA but I am not sure how the loads rank after the 135gr +p Gold Dot or 110gr +P DPX. I don't really want to waste my time or $$ on horrible loads. I will settle for something that might be off a few inches before I will settle for something that is absolutely horrible. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Grind the front sight...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A few inches at what distance? If I had a J frame shooting a few inches off from the bench at the 25 I wouldn't touch it.

Feedback Score
    7 yards

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    7 yards
    EDITUNDO
    Last edited by WS6; 07-30-09 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    I have wondered that myself. I have had a few other people shoot the gun as well and they get similar results, but I am still not convinced it isn't me. Perhaps more testing is in order.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    I have wondered that myself. I have had a few other people shoot the gun as well and they get similar results, but I am still not convinced it isn't me. Perhaps more testing is in order.
    errr, sorry. This is my fault for not reading the OP. This is normal. A revolver will print heavier loads higher, and lighter loads lower. This is the nature of the beast. I thought that you were getting GROUPS of several inches at 7 yards.

Feedback Score
    I assume you have shot the .38 from a bench rest? If accurate that way, it may be the human that is high or low.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OK, I forgot to ask, what revolver? How old is it?

As an example, the older J frame S&Ws are regulated for 158gr bullets, so lighter rounds almost always shoot low.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What would be the general opinion for the best NON- Premium .38spl +P loading? My department seems to go back and forth with the Federal Classic or Remington Express 125gr Jacketed +P H/P loadings but I don't know if price or shooting results are fueling the section. I may be way off but for the past several years I have been using the IMI lead semi-wad-cutter H/P's in both 125gr & 158gr +P .38spl loads for woods use to dispatch feral dogs which range in weight from 50 to 125 pounds. Now a dog is far from being as resilient as a human but those soft IMI lead slugs seem like they could be effective for two legged defense if needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast